Extending swingarm

More
25 Dec 2006 10:21 #101695 by bkitchen
Extending swingarm was created by bkitchen
Could a good welder extend a stock swingarm safely? I want about 3-4 inches and want to keep the stock look. Should some other brace be fabricated to make it stiffer? Any pics out there? This is for the 900.

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2006/12/25 13:22

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2006/12/25 13:24

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2006 10:47 #101698 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Extending swingarm
sure people have been extending them for years,the key words are good welder. ;) ive seen some extended swingarms that were really scary looking id recomend getting an extra swingarm to make the extensions from cut one as long as you can then cut rest from the other arm make some hollow slugs to extend inside of each tube 2-3" and plug weld in 3-4 spots in each tube then weld the one butt weld where the tubes come together,hit it on a belt sander and the average person will never spot it .another trick i like to do is slide the axle as far back in the adjusters as you can with a longer chain you can pick up an extra 1" that way without anybody realizing it.there is a really nice looking 79-80 ltd in the kz1000 gallery slammed in weeds with raked frame and stretched stock swingarm with origional paint.

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/25 13:54
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2006 10:54 #101699 by bkitchen
Replied by bkitchen on topic Extending swingarm
So it is easier to cut the tubes and extend them? I had thoughts of cutting it just at the pivot tube and adding in the extension there. I thought would be easier to keep the width correct and sraight.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2006 10:57 #101701 by wireman
heres that ltd from page 41-42,man i love that bike!im used to the disc brake arms but drum brake should work the same.on disc brake arm i would cut one arm as far in front of mounting bracket for brake stay arm as you can that way you stock brake mounting hardware will work and people will have a harder time noticing whats been done on the other arm that you save the pivot from i would cut it as close as you can to the brake stay bracket but cut it on the pivot side so you dont have the extra bracket on your swingarm.as long as you clamp it down really good and measure as youre welding you should have no problem keeping it straight ;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/25 14:07

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/25 14:08
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2006 16:10 #101722 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Extending swingarm
Just remember if you decide to tackle this one yourself that you need to clamp those things TIGHT before you weld at all! They WILL move while you weld em! The interior slugs will help resists that a bit, but you'll need to jig them in some fashion. :)

*** Just noticed wireman addressed that already. Shoulda known that would be in his reply! :D

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/25 19:11

More
25 Dec 2006 16:40 #101727 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Extending swingarm
You could also weld a piece of rebar on the bottom for extra piece of mind.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Dec 2006 17:05 #101729 by bkitchen
Ok I see what you mean now. That makes sense adn will have the stock look like I want. Ok Next question.... Anyone have a spare swingarm they want to sell??

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2006 17:27 #101732 by wireman
donthekawguy wrote:

You could also weld a piece of rebar on the bottom for extra piece of mind.

:ohmy: :blink: thats why i said to use a hollow slug extending into each piece of tubing and plug welded in several places and butt weld the 2 pieces of tubing ,there should be no gap where the 2 pieces come to gether so you only have one actual joint with a piece of pipe or slug extending internally 2-3" in each direction;)lets see if i can post better picture of that ltd is it just me or does anybody else get a warm feeling when they see this bike?

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/25 21:08:evil: B)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/25 21:09
Attachments:

More
25 Dec 2006 18:33 #101737 by caffcruiser
Is the KZ1000 arm longer? If so, I have one that you could probably have. I don't need it. I just wanted the brake and hub, but got the whole shebang as a packaged deal.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2006 18:52 #101741 by wireman
kz1000 should be same length.tubing diameter might be a little bigger diameter and would have needle bearings which would be an improvement over bushings in 900 arm;)

More
25 Dec 2006 19:45 #101746 by caffcruiser
wireman wrote:

kz1000 should be same length.tubing diameter might be a little bigger diameter and would have needle bearings which would be an improvement over bushings in 900 arm;)

Well there you have it. If that sounds like something someone can use I'd be interested in getting rid of it.

More
25 Dec 2006 20:39 #101749 by bkitchen
I would be very interested in that arm caffcruiser I will PM you.