FORKS QUESTION

More
25 Dec 2006 08:40 #101682 by kawadruida
FORKS QUESTION was created by kawadruida
The front suspension of my ´84 GPz550 (ZX550A1) feels too harsh, like it´s "dry" or something. It tends to rebound in mediium to high speed turns with a little irregular tarmac. I mean, the most primitive fork of my ´81 Z550 feels a lot softer and, most of all, safer at the same medium-high speed turns.

Can it be lacking oil, or something´s wrong with the springs? Air ressure is set at factory specs, I didn´t pop them open to check oil level yet.

The fork has an hydraulic anti-dive system that´s linked to the brake lines. Could it be something related to this system?

Suspension is one of my weak sides, and any enlightment about this will be most appreciated. The bike´s gonna get out of the mechanic´s shop sometime in this week, so it´s gonna be useful to know if I let the guy check and repair any fork-related issue or I can handle it myself, mechanically inclined but no pro at all.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2006/12/25 11:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
25 Dec 2006 09:19 #101687 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic FORKS QUESTION
Fork oil loses it viscosity over the years, and I bet your hasn't been changed. You have an adjustment knob on the bottom of the forks. Read in your manual how they adjust. I adjusted mine full stiff, and had to pull over and reset them from #3 to #1.

Some GPz550 Owners have replaced their stock springs with progressive springs, disconnected the anti-dive and have had great success. I have not done this, but replacing the fork seals is on my list along with the steering and wheel bearings, rear suspension bearings, then that's it. Ride and enjoy.

Test the length of travel on your fron forks with a zip-tie. It will show just how far they are traveling.

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/12/25 12:22

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.