Fork Seal Removal

More
16 Dec 2006 14:20 #100030 by LadiesMan
Fork Seal Removal was created by LadiesMan
alright, so I have a 1980 KZ650 LTD, and after finally getting the shocks apart I come to another problem....

getting the seals out. they have a clip holding them in and i don't have a damn clue on how to get them out without damaging something.

any suggestions would be geatly appreciated. also, if someone could mention the easiest way to get them back in that'd be great.

I'm sure someones asked something like this already before..but I'm short on time so I don't have the time to look.

Thanks,
Eli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2006 15:21 #100044 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Fork Seal Removal
You can usually get the clip out with a small screwdriver, then pry out the seal with a seal removal tool or improvise with a small prybar ect. Put something like a small piece of wood, multiple folded newspaper, rags or something between the tool and where it levers on the fork leg when you pry to minimize damage. After out pound in new seal with a seal tool or large socket of the right diameter. I'm assuming you've already removed the fork leg from the bike, and the allen screw on the bottom of the leg which normally takes air tools to loosen.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.