Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 23 Nov 2005 17:39 #9907

• KZReeder
  • KZReeder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just lost a bid on a set of coils posted on Ebay by .50 cents... if it was somebody here, congratulations;)

Before I get back to searching again... how do the original stock coils fair? Should I even mess with them?... or go with aftermarket.

I did find a place in Oregon that sells a set of stockers for about $80.

Mine are cracked bad, I found that out after I did WG's "direct wiring from the battery" mod and it caused nice blue arcs from the sides of the coils to the frame.

Thanks in advance for helping me on my KZ1000st project.

- Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 23 Nov 2005 18:06 #9914

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Check with Schnitz Racing in Decatur IN, they have the best price for Accel coils that I have found.

www.schnitzracing.com/

$127.80 for Accel coils, and $125 for Dyna. Jeff at Z1 sells Dyna coils and may be cheaper.
KD9JUR

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 23 Nov 2005 19:31 #9928

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
I had a set of Dyna coils on one of my 650s and could tell no difference. I went back stock. Of course the 1000ST has it's own set of coils that was only used on the ST, no other motorcycle, and they did tend to crack for some reason. No reason other coils wouldn't work, but just for info the ST was not the same coil used on other KZ1000 models. This was in the Kawasaki ST tradition that was very, very important at the time. "Do not under any circumstance use ANY part from ANY other motorcycle when building THIS motorcycle". This came directly from the top dog at Kawasaki at the time. Well maybe not, but it seems that way. ;)
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 24 Nov 2005 08:33 #10005

• KZReeder
  • User

I had a set of Dyna coils on one of my 650s and could tell no difference.

Thanks... I like to keep things relatively stock for reliability on a long trip... but I do like to upgrade where stock parts are known to be trouble prone. I'm leaning toward stock at this point.

-Claude

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 24 Nov 2005 13:39 #10042

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Ron, That comment about the ST isn't accurate. I do believe the cylinder head nuts are the same as other models bwhahaha I have been shocked since buying my ST. NOTHING cross references with any other model... First thing I looked for was the panel where all the major circuits plug in... I couldn't find it and thought someone has swiped it some time in the past. 38mm fork tubes... brakes different... oh well... still am going get the thing running hehe
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 24 Nov 2005 13:42 #10043

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Claude, ANY coil will eventually fail as they tend to get hot and are hidden from the air flow up under the tank. The stockers or the OEM coils. The Accel coils work fine, the stock coils work fine and the Dyna coils work fine.... well all of them work fine when new! I have a set of Accel coils on one of my carb test bikes and they work fine. I have a set of Dyna coils on my other and they work fine. I think as long as a set of coils is powered correctly and not cracked or internally shorted, you won't be able to tell what type coils are in use. I buy my coils from Jeff at www.z1enterprises.com as he has about the best prices on all Dynatek products.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 24 Nov 2005 18:35 #10086

• KZReeder
  • User

I think as long as a set of coils is powered correctly and not cracked or internally shorted, you won't be able to tell what type coils are in use.

Thanks again WG, that confirms my hunch... I've decided to go ahead an tear down my ST for the winter build up. I had originally planned on getting it running reliably as is and going for a couple of rides... I even enthusiatically planned a weekend ride around Lake Michigan... my buddies went and I sat at home because I still didn't have a title in hand.

I guess a busy schedule and mainly a snafu over getting the title has pushed me past riding season around here.

Keep us posted on your project.

-Claude

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 25 Nov 2005 07:33 #10149

• wiredgeorge
  • User
I am finishing up a spare engine build before rolling the ST into the work area. All I need to finish the spare engine is a bit of money. The missus is in shopping mode and I have four grandkids so the money issue seems to be rearing its ugly head... all I need are gaskets, seals, rings and a cam chain... I will probably send a short list over to one of my daughters who is looked for things to buy me for Xmas hehe

I have already picked up quite a few of the parts needed to get the project done... I am going to probably remove the engine and powdercoat frame on this one... Also get some of the chrome parts stripped and powdercoated due to rust.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 25 Nov 2005 08:16 #10153

• KZReeder
  • User
Cool... powder coating is in order here too. I'll be stripping the KZ down to the frame as well. I'm heading over to organize the space for the project this afternoon. Just won a bid for a KZ1000st factory manual on Ebay for about $9.

The creative aspect for me is that we just sold our house and are in an apartment for the winter... my bikes are all down at my cousins shop (about a half hour away) so the only time I get to work on the KZ is either late evenings during the week after the kids have gone to bed or on the weekends when I can break away for half a day.

Kinda cool tho... he's got 6 or 7 bikes of his own... just finished up an older BMW this spring that he rides all the time and a stripped down 72 shovel-head sportster that has the soul of John Deere tractor.

Dang It! Lost a set of coils! 01 Dec 2005 17:21 #11329

• KZReeder
  • User
Well! Should be picking up a brand new set of Dyna coils tomorrow... hope to have them installed this weekend...:silly: Can't wait to hear the bike run smooth!

• Page: