Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 21 Nov 2005 20:27 #9495

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Starting off with getting more charge out of the system- what is the best list of mods you need to make a very reliable and strong charging/electrical systems?
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 21 Nov 2005 20:48 #9499

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Not to speak for him, but I'd wager that WiredGeorge would tell you to gently sand all electrical contacts and apply dielectric grease before putting them back together to prevent further corrosion.

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 21 Nov 2005 22:18 #9517

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Larger capacity stators are available in the aftermarket, and if that's not enough, you could go to an external alternator :)
KD9JUR

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 22 Nov 2005 20:28 #9746

• Ron G
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I was told by Jim @ Redline Cycle that one of the fringe benefits of installing the stronger MKII crank in my KZ motor is that the MKII dynamo has a higher power output. The MKII dynamo will not fit on a KZ/Z1 crank. I checked my FSM, but the power output of the MKII and the KZ/Z1 dynamo is not specified.

Ron

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 22 Nov 2005 23:15 #9769

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
For what? after market lights?

The stock charging system, if working properly can handle most normal situations with no problems. If you put on a bigger permanent magnet alternator, you waste horsepower as heat in the regulator and alternator. The alternator puts out max current all the time. The regulator regulates by wasting the excess electrical power.

If you are not using extra spotlights or hand warmers etc., you'll just be wasting the extra power and may go through regulators faster.

If you are using it for extra lights, or a mini-fridge :), then it's a good idea.

EDIT: ooops! I see you're in Alaska. No mini-fridge, I guess :)

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2005/11/23 02:17

List of best upgrades to electrical system- more power! 23 Nov 2005 05:04 #9784

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
As an alternative to an external alternator, is there an excited field type alternator available for these old bikes?

You might consider grafting one of those tiny Robin or Honda powered 'generators' if you're contemplating powering stuff when the bike is parked as well as moving. I have been giving some thought to a clip on module with my ham radio and one of these tiny generators for operating from the beach in Hawaii. Out apartment is not sited for good radio reception/transmission as it's in a valley on the South side of Oahu. Clip on because I'm also wanting a module for fishing gear and another for hunting gear.

-Duck

• Page: