Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

81 750 electronic ignition 21 Nov 2005 08:50 #9346

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently I installed a Dyna S electronic ignition in my kz750 4 cylinder, now its not sparking at all, motor turns over perfect, but absolutely no spark... anyone have any ideas on whats wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 750 electronic ignition 21 Nov 2005 12:54 #9404

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If your plug caps / plug wires worked OK prior to doing the ignition swap out and you didn't mess with your coils, let see if we can troubleshoot this...

First thing is to verify your coils are alive and well. First thing to do is check for voltage. Put a multimeter POS lead on the power in lug (yellow/red wire connected) and the NEG lead on a frame ground. turn on the key and you should have about 12.5 VDC. If that is the case, then you can certainly check the primary and secondary impedence on the coils. If you have a manual, it will give you more exact specs but for now, put your multimeter in 1X ohms and put the leads as follows: (turn off ignition) 1 lead on power in lug on coil and the other on the other lug. You should read about 2 or 3 ohms. Then put the leads on the pieces of metal INSIDE the plug caps and put the meter on 50K ohms scale or something like that and try it. You should get about 15-20K ohms... OK if the coils BOTH check out then proceed down to the Dyna S!

Remove your points cover and note there is a RED wire coming out of the Dyna S pickup coil area. Trace it and ensure it is spliced into the yellow/red wire near where they come out of the wiring harness. The Dyna folks give you a blue clip to crimp over the coil wires and crimp in this wire. This is a common point of failure. If you THINK you have the red wire crimped, get the multimeter and put it in VDC scale again and put the POS lead on the end of the red wire where it connects to the pickup coils (I think there may be a bit of bare wire to use) and the other lead on the frame and turn on your key... again, you should get about 12.5 VDC. If you don't, get rid of the blue clip thing and solder the wires. If you DO have 12.5 VDC, move to next step...

OK, there are two wires coming from your Dyna S pickup coils. These are the pickups located around the crank end under the points cover you removed. One pickup has a black wire coming from it and the other (left) has a green. Trace these two wires up to the coils. The green wire is for 2/3 cylinder and should be tightly connected to the lug on the 2/3 coil which is generally the right hand coil as you sit on the bike. The black wire will connect to the 1/4 coil on the left. Check the connections... if you find loose or improper connections, correct this problem. If you don't find a problem, it is time to call Dynaonline.com as you very likely may have a bad set of pickup coils. I have seen it happen. They will be able to make the problem right.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

81 750 electronic ignition 21 Nov 2005 13:23 #9413

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
There is no green wire coming off the pickups... there are red and white off of one pickup and black and red off the other pickup... this could be a conflict. The stock pickups had black and blue wires off one pickup and red and yellow off the other... It seems like the red is the power from each of the pickups and the black and white wires are the grounds to each other them. Haven't checked the ignition coils yet though I will do that later tonight or tomorrow

• Page: