Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Powering coils from battery question 20 Nov 2005 19:59 #9262

• Spud
  • Spud's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, been hanging out here for a while and I decided to do the powering coils from battery mod. I was wondering if I can do it on my 81 KZ1000LTD. I took a look at it today and I thought I found the right wires, but when it was all hooked up the engine would turn over but I would get no spark. I unhooked everything and did not hook up the yellow/red and red wire back up and the engine turned over with no spark again. I must not have had the right wires. Does anyone know where these wires would be on my bike? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powering coils from battery question 22 Nov 2005 07:17 #9567

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Spud, the directions for powering coils was written for 73-80 KZs... You can apply it to your bike I suspect but since I don't have a wiring diagram for your bike, you will have to work by figuring it out... On your coils are two wires (not the plug wires). One is black OR green. The black wire goes to the 1/4 coil and the green the 2/3 coil. Is this correct? If so, the OTHER wire is the power wire. To confirm, use a multimeter and test. Put multimeter in VDC scale. Then, put the POS lead on this wire and the NEG lead on the frame and turn the key on. Do you see voltage that is in the 12VDC range? OK, you have found your POWER WIRE! Now this wire or the same wire going to the OTHER coil will be the trigger wire for the relay. Once you have this hooked up properly, then the POWER OUT wire from the relay will come out and split. At the split, tie in your RED wire from your igniter to power it and then run TWO wires from this split to the coils. Repeat the multimeter power check. Also, confirm that there is a black/yellow (ground), red (power) and the black and green wires coming OUT of your igniter box. Let me know... hope this helped... I am trying to figure out if any wire color codes are different than on the earlier bikes with electronic ignitions.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Powering coils from battery question 22 Nov 2005 08:14 #9580

• Alex_KZ1K
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Can you post the link to that topic? I want to try this mod, but every time I see it come up I do a search for it, but can't seem to find it.

Powering coils from battery question 22 Nov 2005 09:28 #9600

• GargantuChet
  • User
Go to the Community link at the top, Filebase, Non Model-Specific. It's called "Coil Powering -- Direct From Battery" or something quite similar.

You can find it in the list of files, or it's usually also available on the right side of the list under "Popular".

Here's a direct link (it's a Word document):

kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...ew/gid,106/Itemid,5/

Post edited by: gargantuchet, at: 2005/11/22 13:05

Powering coils from battery question 11 Dec 2005 18:03 #12688

• Samwell
  • User
Just for information's sake. I've just done the coil mod on my project under construction. It went from a paltry 10.3 volts at the coils to a burly 11.7 volts. This is with the engine not running and the battery itself reads 12.1 across the terminals. Neat! Once my carbs come home from Mico, Texas it'll go like stink!

Sam

Spud wrote:

Hey, been hanging out here for a while and I decided to do the powering coils from battery mod. I was wondering if I can do it on my 81 KZ1000LTD. I took a look at it today and I thought I found the right wires, but when it was all hooked up the engine would turn over but I would get no spark. I unhooked everything and did not hook up the yellow/red and red wire back up and the engine turned over with no spark again. I must not have had the right wires. Does anyone know where these wires would be on my bike? Thanks.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

• Page: