Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Charge volts 12 Nov 2006 09:39 #91428

• outatimeoutlaw
  • outatimeoutlaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My service manual says to check the seperate output wires with meter set to ac volts. This shows to be weak,but when you test dc volts at 2000 rpm with h light on its 15 volts. Bike is an 82 KZ 1100 D1 SPECTRE. I'm
wondering if this related to ocasionaly burnning the 30 a main fuse? Battery is going on 2yrs.Seems get better with new battery.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charge volts 12 Nov 2006 16:01 #91474

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If you're testing the dc voltage across the battery and you're getting >14.5 volts than you've got reg/rect issues. However, if you're stator isn't putting out enough juice then you may have even bigger trouble. I'm no expert on motorcycle electrics, however, the Suzuki GS line had a weak regulator and when it went south the stator would overheat and would fail too. You may have both problems. This is why the new battery helps. Test the resistances on the stator and see what shows up.

Sam

outatimeoutlaw wrote:

My service manual says to check the seperate output wires with meter set to ac volts. This shows to be weak,but when you test dc volts at 2000 rpm with h light on its 15 volts. Bike is an 82 KZ 1100 D1 SPECTRE. I'm
wondering if this related to ocasionaly burnning the 30 a main fuse? Battery is going on 2yrs.Seems get better with new battery.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Charge volts 12 Nov 2006 19:56 #91548

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
15 volts is a little high. It can be the regulator, or the circuits feeding the brown wire to the regulator or possibly the ground.

When the fuse connections get dirty, that can cause the voltage on the brown wire to be low so the regulator increases the voltage to the battery to compensate.

The dirt on the fuse connections will also cause the fuses to burn. They don't blow from over-current, but they heat up and melt due to the dirt on the connections. Replace the fuses and clean the fuse holders and see if that makes a difference.

Charge volts 14 Nov 2006 06:00 #91959

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
What AC voltage did you find coming off each of the stator wire tests?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: