Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Switching signals to constant plus signal? 19 Nov 2005 23:07 #9119

• Sweet Back
  • Sweet Back's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to make it so that my signals are on constantly, and flash when I need a signal. Is this possible? I'm sure it is, but I'm a bit confused how I can make it work off of the single wire that comes out for the signals. My guess is I need an 1167 bulb, think thats the one with 2 contacts. Then run one wire to the signal, perhaps connect the other to the constant for the brake light, and then ground. Can any one verify or perhaps make another suggestion. Thanks.
1996 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Switching signals to constant plus signal? 19 Nov 2005 23:17 #9122

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The "official way" is to use a dual filament bulb like an 1157. The dim filament is on all the time until the signal is used. Then the dim filament should turn off and the bright filament flashes.

This is done through switching in the turn switch. In order to implement this on a bike that wasn't designed for it, you'd have to rig up your own relay circuit.

The other option would be to use the existing bulb (1156?) and rig up a circuit to keep it dim until the signal is used then make it flash full brightness.

Not sure, yet, which circuit would be harder to rig up.

You could go the easy route and use a dual filament bulb and just hard-wire the dim filament to be on all the time. The bright filament would be wired just like the regular turn signal bulb.

The signals in back must be red to use this setup. (The fronts must be yellow as always.)

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2005/11/20 02:25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: