Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

gas gauge 01 Nov 2006 13:31 #89128

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I removed the gas gauge float when I painted my tank. I cut a new rubber gasket as the old was sort of brittle and it doesn't leak, thankfully. The gauge connects to the sending unit via a two wire plug under the tank. The sending unit is an arm with a float and appears like a pretty simple deal. The gauge works... but doesn't tell you the correct amount of gas. One minute it will show full and the next 1/2 tank. When you turn the power off, it goes all the way down to empty as you would expect. Has anyone ever worked on or repaired one of these sending units? Replaced it with a newer style? I am thinking it would be possible to use one from some other bike type... the sending unit is a box that is either welded to or is bolted onto the plate that bolts to the tank on the bottom.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

gas gauge 01 Nov 2006 13:49 #89133

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Gman,

It's a variable resistor so I would check for continuity between the two leads and for it to vary as you move the arm up and down slowly.

I've also got a Connie and here is a link on Concours.org that explains why the Connie gas gauge is inaccurate and how to fix it. the principle should also apply to your KZ tank.

The folks on the Connie board are extrememly helpful, just like here on the KZ board.

Thanks for all the times you've helped me, hope this goes a small way towards blessing you in return,
David

www.concours.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_I...s=resistor,gas,gauge

gas gauge 02 Nov 2006 05:51 #89285

• wiredgeorge
  • wiredgeorge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I had already thought of bending the float arm much like you would adjust the float arm in a toilet bowl but I think the erratic nature of the gauge indicates it isn't the arm (which may indeed be set inaccurately) but is more likely electrical. The resistor trick may just work and I will eventully give it a try. Right now, I am sorting out some other issues and when finished, have yet another project started... the main problem will be the "ride till you are about on reserve" issue. I have a Custom Chrome petcock and from experience, when I need to switch to reserve, the tank will be more or less already nearly dry... I pushed a KZ900 about 3 miles to learn this particular little lesson bwhahaha Thanks! I need to buy a Connie at some point. Always wanted one but now that I have the ST, it would be hard to rationalize as the bikes have so many functional similarities.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

gas gauge 02 Nov 2006 06:42 #89302

• floridamba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I picked up the resistors for my Connie, 5 for .99 at Radio Shack. I only need one, will try it this weekend.

Have you heard of the Concours 14 coming out next year based on the ZX-14? It's on the Kaw web site now....

There are lots of good deals that come out of the Concours web site, folks selling some nice ones in the $3500-$4500 range.

gas gauge 02 Nov 2006 07:47 #89310

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
wiredgeorge wrote:

I pushed a KZ900 about 3 miles to learn this particular little lesson bwhahaha Thanks!

When I pulled that stunt, I just took the tank off and carried it to the gas station(about 2 miles)Put 1/2 gallon in(didn't want it too heavy)walked back to the bike and re-installed the factory gas can.:laugh: :woohoo:

• Page: