Dyna S install

More
28 Oct 2006 12:52 #88057 by wiredgeorge
Dyna S install was created by wiredgeorge
Just noticed that on the Dyna S I just installed on my project bike that the two leads from the pickups are a black wire with a GREEN band where it is supposed to attach to the coil and a WHITE wire with a BLACK band where it is supposed to attach to the coil. I had considered the reasoning for putting the colored bands to indidcate one wire is supposed to be the 1/4 coil wire and one the 2/3 coil wire. Kaw almost always uses BLACK as the 1/4 wire and GREEN as the 2/3. Unfortunately, the bands were on the wrong wires. The white wire is coming off the right pickup which is the 2/3 pickup and it carries the black band. Go figure. Keep this in mind if you install these things and use the band colors as an indication of which coil to connect to.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2006 17:52 #88123 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Dyna S install
wiredgeorge wrote:

Just noticed that on the Dyna S I just installed on my project bike that the two leads from the pickups are a black wire with a GREEN band where it is supposed to attach to the coil and a WHITE wire with a BLACK band where it is supposed to attach to the coil. I had considered the reasoning for putting the colored bands to indidcate one wire is supposed to be the 1/4 coil wire and one the 2/3 coil wire. Kaw almost always uses BLACK as the 1/4 wire and GREEN as the 2/3. Unfortunately, the bands were on the wrong wires. The white wire is coming off the right pickup which is the 2/3 pickup and it carries the black band. Go figure. Keep this in mind if you install these things and use the band colors as an indication of which coil to connect to.

maybe your advancer rotor is 180-out? Just a possibility.

More
28 Oct 2006 18:24 #88134 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Dyna S install
Nope, George is correct, the DynaS wires are color coded backwards, threw me off for a while too when I installed a DynaS on my 650.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
28 Oct 2006 19:28 #88164 by loudhvx
Maybe they have a test mule KZ and their rotor is backward. :blink:

More
29 Oct 2006 16:25 #88370 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Dyna S install
On a points Kaw, the right set of points as you view with the points cover off, is the 2/3 points. The wire is green. The left set of points is the 1/4 points and the wire is black. On any Kaw I have seen with pickup coils and IC Igniter, the right pickup is 2/3 and green wire and the left is 1/4 and black wire. I am not sure what you mean by a rotor... The thing that sits in the middle of the mechanical advance? That only goes in there one way. The advance can only fit on in one way as it is keyed. They just assemble the wires wrong... I install quite a few Dyna S units and they are all like this now that I think about it. Why? Probably no one has brought it to their attention. I shot Jeff S. a note on this subject and hopefully he will mention it to them. I guess I should send them an email directly.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
29 Oct 2006 23:49 #88472 by loudhvx
The stock rotor on a KZ electronic ignition can go on two ways. One way is right, the other is 180 out. Being 180 out makes the 1-4 coil the 2-3 coil and vice versa.

The Dyna III rotor can go on either way, and if I recall, the Dyna S uses the same rotor.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/30 03:03

More
30 Oct 2006 08:01 #88537 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Dyna S install
While the advance unit can only go in one way, the rotor can indeed go in 180 degrees out (as can the points cam) - there are two recesses on the back end of the rotor, one for each advance weight.

Here´s what the installation sheet for the DynaS (DS2-2 for the 650) says:

"While holding it (the advance assy) with the 1-4 side pointing up, slip the DynaS rotor over the shaft. A magnet approximately 1/4 inch in diamter will be noticed on the side of the rotor. This magnet must face to the left when the 1-4 side on the advancer assembly is pointing up. Spread the weights and push the rotor down until it engages the weights."

But the color codes are still backwards. Didn´t realize it was a common problem until now, just figured they messed up the one I got, they should be told.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
29 Apr 2007 15:52 #135354 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Dyna S install
Uh oh......:(

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
29 Apr 2007 16:01 #135361 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Dyna S install
when I put the dyna on the 650 it was backwards also,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
29 Apr 2007 17:20 #135380 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Dyna S install
I have a Dyna-S 2 sitting in the box waiting to be put on my SR. I noticed the white wires and the black and green shrink tubing at the bullet ends, but didn't figure they'd be wrong. Thanks for the heads up!

Now I have to go out to the garage and look at it again. :pinch:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
29 Apr 2007 17:22 #135384 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Dyna S install
I will tell you if mine is backwards when I get home tomorrow..after I get done mowing...

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
29 Apr 2007 18:32 #135417 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Dyna S install
I got my new one (Dyna-S 2) out of the garage and it appears to be correct. The white wire with the black band is connected to the left pickup and the black wire with the green band is connected to the right hand pickup.

I'm glad that I was able to double check this.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )