Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stator Removal, Please help! 27 Oct 2006 08:26 #87787

• maj75
  • maj75's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1982 GPz750. I am refinishing the engine cases. I tried to remove the stator from the inside of the engine cover. One of the 3 hex head bolts snapped after 4-5 turns. I can't get the two phillips-head screws which attach the metal plate covering the wires to turn, even with an impact driver.

I can't leave it like this, but I don't want to make the problem worse and ruin the stator or the cover. I think with a little heat and some penetrating oil, I can extract the stub of the hex head.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stator Removal, Please help! 27 Oct 2006 10:53 #87809

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I would be careful heating anything in the area... the heat kills a magnetic field and heat would be the first thing I tried on those bitty screws holding the cover. I suspect you will end up busting off the heads... if you do, I would carefully drill them and tap them the next size up... are they 4mm? I would go with 5mm screws if there was enough meat to tap.

If you got the other two socket head bolts out, You have to turn the stator cover over and tap pop it on a wooden bench or something similar and the stator will actually just drop out. They can be in there tight but are just sitting in there. As far as the broken bolt, once you get the stator out, try some vise grips if there is anything left above the thread on the stator cover. If not, you might try cutting a slot in the broken bolt and using a flat blade screwdriver. Be careful if you use an EZ out because if it breaks, the cover is trash.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: