Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Won't start when warm 24 Oct 2006 18:27 #86997

• danielcwebb
  • danielcwebb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike starts fine when it's cold. Plenty of juice, and lights are nice and bright. After it has warmed up, the starter can just barely turn the engine over. Sometimes it will start, but more often not. The lights are still nice and bright. After it cools off, it starts fine again. I know I should probably go through the whole charging system and test all the components, but I was wondering if anyone might have run into this or have an easy solution.

Thanks, Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Won't start when warm 25 Oct 2006 06:49 #87154

• 9sec1000
  • User
I would first check the voltage to the starter when it is cold then check the voltage after you have warmed it up. But I would say it does not sound like a wiring problem, more likely it is in the starter itself so it may just need replaced

Won't start when warm 26 Oct 2006 04:07 #87423

• 750LTDRider
  • User
Another thing to check is your timing advancer. Mine had stuck in the advance position and caused that exact problem. It also knocked under hard acceleration, but it would barely turn over when the engine was warm. I fixed it and it fires right up now all the time.

Won't start when warm 26 Oct 2006 05:24 #87432

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
How 'warm' does it get? Could it be a compression problem?

When the engine heats up it would expand a bit, and without the needed compression you could have one helluva time starting it.

The part about 'after it cools off, it starts fine again' leads me to this conclusion based on something my father told me about his old '68 (I think) triumph - he'd have the same trouble on long hauls.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Won't start when warm 26 Oct 2006 06:31 #87463

• danielcwebb
  • danielcwebb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the suggestions...

I replaced the battery, and it seems to be fine now. The old battery had no acid left in it and the terminals were corroded. I guess I'll have to wait to see if this a permanant fix, but for right now it's working great.

Won't start when warm 26 Oct 2006 15:09 #87569

• tnutz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i had the very same problem, cleaned up the battery connections and she is like new.

• Page: