Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic ignition swap? 10 Nov 2005 19:57 #7642

• bkitchen
  • bkitchen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 79 kz650 has the points ignition. Is it possible to swap in an electronic ignition from a later KZ? How much trouble is it? And does anyone have one sitting around they want to get rid of cheap or donate? I know I can buy a Dyna but don't have the money to spend. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic ignition swap? 10 Nov 2005 20:18 #7644

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
An '81 or later 650 used Electronic Ignitions, as well as 550s and 750/4s, not sure on those years. All can be swaped in, but you will also need different coils I believe as well as any ignitor boxes that go with their respective systems and the cam/advancer that fits on the end of the crankshaft. Some mounting plate modifications may be needed on some systems, and possablly a 900/1000 CDI with mounting mods can work.

Try a search here and in the Archives, as this has been discussed before.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Electronic ignition swap? 10 Nov 2005 22:33 #7658

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
No need to change the coils when switching to the later model electronic ignition, it's not CDI so the stock coils will work. It takes me about an hour to switch a 750 twin to electronic ignition using 440 parts.
KD9JUR

Electronic ignition swap? 11 Nov 2005 06:40 #7693

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The backplate for the pickup coils mounts exactly the same as the points plate. You will need the points plate and mechanical advance. Once mounted, you will need the electronic ignition and connecting it to power and the coils is a matter of cutting off the connector and splicing some wires. The wire colors tend to be the same as on the points making it fairly intuitive as memory serves... black, green for "signal" wires to the coils. Red for power connection... black/yellow ground, etc.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: