bike misses in rain ?

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Aug 2006 07:43 #73390 by mark1122
bike misses in rain ? was created by mark1122
I was riding in the rain last week and it sounded like it was running on 2 cyl's. When I got home I ckecked for spark and all plugs were firing.When it dried out it ran fine. How do I track a problem like that ?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2006 07:55 #73395 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bike misses in rain ?
Two issues. First, you had 10.35 VDC at the coils. This ensures a bad spark. Read coil-repowering article on my web site. Second, check your coils for cracks. Put some dielectic grease in the plug caps with a q-tip. Make sure you have a grommet in the points cover where the wires come through. One of those things will fix your missing in the rain plus if you follow the steps laid out in the coil-repowering article, your problems will likely clear up.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
30 Aug 2006 08:40 #73406 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bike misses in rain ?
Thanks George. I know I don't have a gromet on my points cover because i just switched from electonic back to points .I'll have to get some grease for those coils .There are no visable cracks in the coils but the ones I just took out had cracks.Are these from overheating?I had 2 differant electronic egnition systems .A Martec and an Igniter.They booth burnt out on the right side .I also burnt out 2 Martec coils. Why might that be?Do you think there may be an underliing problem I should address before I install a new system such as a Dyna 2000?:S

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
30 Aug 2006 19:46 #73550 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic bike misses in rain ?
I had a similar problem. My cause was a short front fender and rain. Water was getting splashed up under the gas tank and soaking my coils.
I sprayed the coils and all the wiring under the tank with an electrical sealer, and reinstalled the stock/longer front fender. No problems since. :)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
30 Aug 2006 21:34 #73580 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic bike misses in rain ?
Dang! Never thought of that! As far as the coils... they have resistance and where there is resistance, there is heat. If you look inside an old coil, it is a bunch of copper wire wound around with plastic coating. What do you expect will happen with a coil ages and sees heat a zillion times? The windings plastic coating will melt a bit and when it does, SHORT! The cracks also occur over time from heat. The plastic stuff they make the coils out of just cracks when it dries out and ages and gets hot a zillion times. As far as the Martek stuff, not sure. Never seen nor used it so just don't know. You might want to start hunting OEM pickup coils and ignitor box. Check the year of the application as you will want to match the coils and add the correct ballast resistor to bring resistance up to what is expected at the coils for the power feeding them. You can also buy a Dyna S and Dyna coils. They are getting so inexpensive it makes a lot of sense although the OEM stuff is likely superior quality and performance... you are buying used stuff which may or may not work right.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
01 Sep 2006 16:40 #73932 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic bike misses in rain ?
Thanks guysB)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)