• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000st coil wiring 09 Nov 2005 05:00 #7294

• KZReeder
  • KZReeder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Good Morning Everyone:)

I was looking over the coil wiring set up in anticipation of doing the relay thing per WiredGeorge's diagram that I printed out from the file section of this site... I noticed that in his diagram he mentions that there should be one power wire going to the coil... on mine there are two. One coil has a black wire going to it and the other has a green wire going to it.:unsure:

They both originate from a cast aluminum heat sink located at the bottom of the battery box, which has wires going into it from the electronic ignition.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
I know I'm prolly missing something really obvious here!:blush:

-Claude

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000st coil wiring 09 Nov 2005 06:26 #7302

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The bike you own has an electronic ignition. There are pickup coils (two) mounted around the end of the crank shaft and mechanical ignition advance under your right hand points cover. The black and green wires originate at the pickup coils (the black comes from the 1/4 pickup coil and the green from the 2/3). They go into the gizmo you called a heat sink. It is actually an igniter box. The igniter box tells the coils when to fire and these signals are carried to the coils via BLACK and GREEN wires. The black wire is going to your 1/4 coil and the GREEN wire is going to your 2/3 coil. THESE ARE NOT POWER WIRES AND YOU DON'T MUCK WITH THEM IN THE COIL POWER MOD.

OK... the OTHER wire connected to each of your coils is a yellow/red wire. These wires are the powering wires. The power on them starts life back at the fuse box area and runs along your wiring harness. It goes through the igntion and then the kill switches and back along the wiring harness and to a connector over your valve cover. The connector is a one into two type female connector.

Over your valve cover, if you trace the yellow/red wires BACK from the coils, you will find that they connect into the one into two type female connector. You need to pull them lose and use one of them to TRIGGER your automotive type relay. Out of the relay, you will have power and this power can be split to feed the coils and connect to the red wire on the igniter box (the heat sink looking thing). It is a three way split... I don't recall how the red wire is connected to power but you can also leave it as is if you like. I have only done the conversion to a Kaw electronic ignition once so my memory is foggy as to how the red wire connects on your igniter but it is a power wire so either leave it as is or connect it to the split powering wires that will feed your coils.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ1000st coil wiring 09 Nov 2005 08:02 #7329

• KZReeder
  • KZReeder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Cool! Thanks!:) I really apreciate your taking the time to explain that to me.

Thanks again,
-Claude

P.S. This site is AWSOME! :laugh:

• Page: