Advance problem

More
25 Aug 2006 14:28 #72465 by 750LTDRider
Advance problem was created by 750LTDRider
Well Ive had my 83 750 LTD for about 2 years now. Never ran perfect but did not have the money to dig in. Now trying to get it running perfect. This is my first bike so Im not familiar with common problems. Reading in my clymers, I cam across the part that says you should grease the advancer every so often. So get in there and the first thing I notice is there is a spring broken. I pulled it out and realized that it is completely locked up with rust. And it is stuck in the max advance position. So I think that may explain my problems with cold starts. Always started but took about 10 sec. So far I have not been able to break it loose. Soaking in WD40 now. Supposing I get it loose, anyone know where I could get a spring? Dealer only sells the complete advancer for $130. Would rather fix it if possible, since I really dont have the extra money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
25 Aug 2006 15:29 #72467 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Advance problem
750LTDRider wrote:

....So get in there and the first thing I notice is there is a spring broken. I pulled it out and realized that it is completely locked up with rust....

Wow! That should really make a difference in running.
Is that the '83 750-K1 LTD Belt Twin or the '83 750-H4 LTD Four? For what it's worth I could hunt down some cross references to help find other bikes with the same advance... it's great for searching eBay...

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
25 Aug 2006 15:51 #72471 by 750LTDRider
Replied by 750LTDRider on topic Advance problem
Actually is the 750-F1 LTD Shaft Four. Just got it freed up. Was able to tap it up enough to get a screwdriver under it and pried it up. Got all the rust cleaned off the shaft and with a little grease, it moves very nicely now. So now I only need to find a spring. I was planning on checking some hardare stores. You never know. Even with one spring for now, Im sure it will make a huge difference as it did not even move before. With one I guess it will just advance a little sooner.

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
25 Aug 2006 16:46 #72484 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Advance problem
I see. Well, not that it matters compared to a *frozen* advancer, but I would imagine that those are very special springs that would be hard to find a match for. I think I'd be concerned if it wasn't advancing at all... but then I guess it's all relative..

Anyway, here's a list of other models that shared your advancer, maybe you can find a few-dollar special on eBay... Good luck!
B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com
Attachments:

More
25 Aug 2006 16:48 #72487 by 750LTDRider
Very cool. Thanks a lot. I will hit Ebay and see if one turns up.

More
25 Aug 2006 19:07 #72516 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Advance problem
Don't run it with only one spring. It will advance too soon which will cause knocking...not good for the motor.

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
26 Aug 2006 02:02 #72597 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic Advance problem
Hmm? Maybe I will pull mine apart tomorrow and see if this is why mine runs like sheyite too?

Just been lazy & working on the better more wanted bike.

More
26 Aug 2006 05:52 #72614 by 750LTDRider
Well I found a guy on Ebay that was parting out two 82 KZ750 4's. I emailed him and hopfully I will have my new one soon. Only $10 too. And then I will have my old one for extra parts. And running for a week with only one spring can not hurt it anymore than before. It was stuck at full advance for probably 2 years. At least it should idle better. Should know later once I get my bevel gears back on.

More
26 Aug 2006 06:12 #72619 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Advance problem
Hi Travis, I see you are pretty local to Baltimore. I hate to sound like a commercal but have you tried Baltimore Cycle Salvage. Dean has been great in helping me get parts and giving me advice on my bike rebuild. He has given me great prices and sometimes he has even given me stuff for free, if he is in a good mood and other customers haven't pi$$ed him off. He has recently had to move his shop, so google might not have his correct phone#. 410-962-1335 open 1-6pm except Sunday and Friday. Only downside is that he is cash only. IMO, it's much better to get your parts NOW, than have to wait for the mail delivery. Good luck in getting your bike running right.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
26 Aug 2006 06:41 #72622 by 750LTDRider
Hey thanks. I did not know about him but will definately call him later. I definately would rather have it now then later.

More
30 Aug 2006 04:37 #73363 by 750LTDRider
Ron, thanks again for the number. Went down there last night for a couple of things and your right, he is really helpfull. I think I actually just missed you by like 5 min. I told him I got his number from here, and he said you just missed him. I will be doing a lot of business with him I'm sure. Very nice guy, and tons of parts.