3 phase reg/rec on 1 phase alt

More
25 Aug 2006 06:54 #72379 by steell
3 phase reg/rec on 1 phase alt was created by steell
Working on the 79 750 twin I bought recently I discovered that it had a 3 phase (3 yellow wires) reg/rec and the stock single phase (2 yellow wires) alternator. Someone has wired it up using only two of the yellow wires from the reg/rec (instaed of all three). I have not had the motor running yet (waiting on carb kits), so I don't know for sure that it works, but after thinking about it for a few minutes I came to the conclusion that it actually should work that way. If I am correct then those of us with the single phase alternators could use the much more readily available three phase reg/recs on our single phase bikes.

What about it Lou? Sound reasonable?

Found out why the starter clutch was not working (the reason I was there in the first place), I removed the alternator cover and the rotor was wobbling around on the crank and the bolt was ready to fall out. Don't seem to have destroyed anything though, if it did I have spares anyway :)

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2006 16:16 #72475 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 3 phase reg/rec on 1 phase alt
I've suggested the 3-phase reg/rec for 1-phase operation to a few people. I can only remember one person actually doing it and it worked (on a Suzuki). I think it's more of a question of longevity. It's using 4 diodes to do the work designed for 6. I say try it and see what happens. The Kaw Reg/rec's are pretty tough. But if you come across a 1-phase one, you may want to grab it.

More
25 Aug 2006 18:20 #72504 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 3 phase reg/rec on 1 phase alt
I have a spare (or 4) single phase reg/recs for the 750 twin, so I was thinking about going ahead and changing it, but I think I'll just let it alone and see how it goes.

KD9JUR