help set timing!!

• steveo_4192003
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
More
24 Aug 2006 17:46 #72271 by steveo_4192003
help set timing!! was created by steveo_4192003
i had to lube my advancer and now reset the timimg!
ive set car timing, but not on a bike. i took off the plate (only) and would like to know exactly how set base timing on my 1977 kz650b-1

i need detailed info pleases, just so i know im doing this right, or good link

1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2006 21:38 #72326 by AzKZ650
Replied by AzKZ650 on topic help set timing!!
Ok, make sure your points are clean and the gap is correct.
Rotate the crankshaft until the right vertical line ("F" mark) for cylinders 1 and 4 is aligned beneath the timing mark above and between the the 2 sets of points.

NOTE: The left vertical line (the "T" mark) indicates TDC (top dead center). The right vertical line (the "F" mark) indicates ignition timing when the engine is running at idle.

Connect one lead from an ohmmeter to the engine case, for ground. Connect the other lead to the left set of points (for 1 and 4).

Loosen the 2 screws that mount the left-hand set of points to the backing plate, but don't loosen them too much. Pry point serrations in the edge of the contact breaker mounting plate are above the top mounting screw. Insert a screwdriver in pry point.

Use the screwdriver to move the points plate clockwise or counter clockwise around the backing plate until the ohmmeter needle begins to fluctuate, showing that the points are beginning to open.

Tighten the breaker points mounting plate screws, and check that the ohmmeter needle is still fluctuating. If not, repeat the adjustment.

Rotate the crankshaft until the "F" mark for 2 and 3 is aligned beneath the timing mark. Adjust the ignition timing for the right set of contact breaker points.

If you run out of travel while adjusting a set of points, loosen the 3 screws that mount the backing plate to gain more travel. This will throw out the ignition timing for the other set of points, if it has already been adjusted.

Hook up the timing light according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Start the engine and allow it to idle. Shine the timing light on the timing mark.
At idle the strobe light should flash and freeze the "F" line for 1 and 4 while aligned beneath the timing mark. If so, the ignition has been timed correctly and the ignition advance mechanism is funtioning properly at idle.

Increase the rpm and continue aiming the timing light at the timing mark. The 1 and 4 markings should appear to move counterclockwise past the timing mark when strobe light fires.

At higher rpm (3,000-3,400 rpm), the timing marks and the pair of lines to the right side of the 3 or 4 should align with the timing mark on the crankcase. Both idle and high rpm timing must be correct. If the high rpm is incorrect check the timing advance machanism as described under Timing Advance Mechanism in Chapter 7.

Install the ignition cover.

I hope that helps, it's verbatim from my Clymer manual...which I might add is very handy AND has pictures ta boot ;). If that doesn't help you'll have to rely on one of the more experienced members, I've only set my timing once and that was when I installed my dyna-s, and it didn't go all that smoothly :blush:.
Good Luck!-Brian

• steveo_4192003
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
More
24 Aug 2006 21:55 #72329 by steveo_4192003
Replied by steveo_4192003 on topic help set timing!!
thank you i think this will help!

• steveo_4192003
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
More
25 Aug 2006 22:06 #72569 by steveo_4192003
Replied by steveo_4192003 on topic help set timing! got it done thanks
i got here dialed in pretty good now! thanks for all your time and help AZkz650

More
25 Aug 2006 22:43 #72585 by AzKZ650
Replied by AzKZ650 on topic help set timing! got it done thanks
I'm glad I could help :)

More
30 Aug 2006 01:09 #73357 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic help set timing! got it done thanks
Whatever happened to hooking up a test light, touching it to the point contact, bumping the kickstart by hand until the light comes on and looking at where the marks are? its all i've ever done and it works flawlessly. Too good, very good, excellent, etc.