No more points!

More
24 Aug 2006 15:33 #72242 by BadgerChips
No more points! was created by BadgerChips
Hello!, I am a new member, I am young but have owned a few KZs. I have owned two '81 kz750ltds, a yam rz350 kenny roberts, a few RD200s, too many dirtbikes of differing vintage to list etc, etc. My current bike I love is a '77KZ1000B LTD. i used it for transportation in pheonix until it got too hot out and i felt like I was just being mean to my bike. Anyway.. Its a work in progress and the progress continues, I moved back to NH. I am getting sick and tired of resetting my point every 2k or so, and I would like to switch to an aftermarket or factory pickup style ignition. I know Dyna makes something, but i would like to know if there is a better (more economical) way of doing this? Like swap for a later model year factory ignition system. Would this work? What would I need in complete to make the swap? and suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. The bike runs great the way it is, I have a kerker pipe and proper jetting. and son plan on modifying the airbox/Different handlebars. Sorry for the long Message. your help will be Greatly appreciated.

;) Thank you and I Love OLD BIKES!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2006 20:59 #72316 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic No more points!
The Dyna is probably the least expensive method of getting a reliable electronic ignition... (without using points as part of the electronic ignition.)

The stock electronic ignitions are similar in price for used ones, superior in performance (in my opinion), but they are old and so the ignitors out there are getting to the end of their service life. (The pickup assemblies should last indefinitely as long as they are not damaged.)

More
25 Aug 2006 05:41 #72355 by BadgerChips
Replied by BadgerChips on topic No more points!
Thank you for your Info, I was curious if the factory ignition system will hook up to the wiring, I can get the pickup and ignitor etc etc, but is the wiring nearly the same, I have some exp working on cars for drag. I do understand the concept they look like they parts will swap, but will I have to make any additional circuits? Thank you again:sick:

More
25 Aug 2006 06:36 #72372 by loudhvx
The pickups come with their own wires to connect to the ignitor. You will have to run a positive wire to the ignitor. This can come from the positive wire that feeds the coils. You will also have to run a good solid ground wire to the ignitor. That would be best to connect to a ground lug near the battery.

Then you will have to run one wire from each coil to the ignitor. Those two will replace the two wires that went from the coils to the points. Or you can try to use the two old wires if they are easily accessible. One is green, and the other is black (but it is not really a ground wire, the green and black wires get switched off and on to ground).

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/25 09:37

More
25 Aug 2006 11:35 #72423 by BadgerChips
Replied by BadgerChips on topic No more points!
Thank you loud!!

I am very Pleased, and will continue the project ignition swap from a 82750ltd basket case!!
I am glad to have stumbled upon a wealth of information concerning my old bike!!

Thank you very much again. Oh- will I be able to swap the pickup lobe with the rubbing block? Will i have to find a later kz1000 to find this peice to bolt to the crank? Sorry for the multitude of questions!

I fully appreciate the work that has been done to your 550's very nice, I like the cafe look, and had to stop myself from buying that thruxton from triumph! I was warned against it. My fiancee works at BMW/triumph as a tech and said there finished product was not as nice as my nearly thirty year old bike...

Thats my opinion.. Thank you again

Post edited by: BadgerChips, at: 2006/08/25 14:40

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 12:22 #72435 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic No more points!
thank god i thought you guys were talking about mine or gris's driving records again! :evil: :P

More
25 Aug 2006 16:10 #72473 by loudhvx
BadgerChips wrote:

Thank you loud!!

I am very Pleased, and will continue the project ignition swap from a 82750ltd basket case!!
I am glad to have stumbled upon a wealth of information concerning my old bike!!

Thank you very much again. Oh- will I be able to swap the pickup lobe with the rubbing block? Will i have to find a later kz1000 to find this peice to bolt to the crank? Sorry for the multitude of questions!

I fully appreciate the work that has been done to your 550's very nice, I like the cafe look, and had to stop myself from buying that thruxton from triumph! I was warned against it. My fiancee works at BMW/triumph as a tech and said there finished product was not as nice as my nearly thirty year old bike...

Thats my opinion.. Thank you again<br><br>Post edited by: BadgerChips, at: 2006/08/25 14:40

I don't think the 750 and 1000 are physically swapable. The 550, 650, and 750's are similar, but the 1000 has a different size plate. I'm not too familiar with the 750/1000 conversion, but Rstnick has done it, but he put a 1000 ignition into a 650. He may know more about it.