No Power!! Please Help!!!

More
21 Aug 2006 23:39 #71501 by Frazzles
No Power!! Please Help!!! was created by Frazzles
I all of a sudden have no power to my bike. I still in the process of trying to get it running and i had low power. Then all of a sudden I had nothing. The lights on the indicater don't come on or anything or the headlights. I just got a new multimeter and it show's my battery has power. I put new fuses in. but nothing. Is there any help or advice that someone could give me. Also would the bike start with the kickstarter without the electrical wiring working?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2006 05:50 #71529 by ThousandKaw
Replied by ThousandKaw on topic No Power!! Please Help!!!
Hmmm, seems to be a common problem lately. Read back a page or so and somebody posted with "Electrical system Dead". A page or so past that and I posted BADD Ground.

Check your conections both on the plus side and the negative side of the battery. The wiring etc on these bikes are getting some years on them and it's entirely possible your battery is fine and your connections are bad.

I'm willing to bet if you read back over the years this has come up numerous times.

As far as getting the engine running without haveing Electrical power by using the kickstarter.....Nope. Unlike the old bikes with a flywheel magneto/points set up, this bike needs battery voltage at the coils to fire it. You have to have your electrical system working.

Opps, sorry I see you have a KZ750. I don't know if you need electrical power for those to power the coils. I was thinking of the KZ1000.

Pull out the plugs, put it in a dark area/room and kick it over, if it has spark it will run, no spark........won't run.

Post edited by: ThousandKaw, at: 2006/08/22 08:52

Post edited by: ThousandKaw, at: 2006/08/22 08:54

\"Shady Slim\"
1951 Indian 80 CI
1974 MT1
1974 F11 X 2
1975 KX250 More fun than a guy should have
1977 KZ1000 Hooker Headers

More
22 Aug 2006 05:53 #71530 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic No Power!! Please Help!!!
If your battery is dead as a doornail, it will show 12VDC with a multimeter which can't measure current, only voltage. Check your wiring as already noted. Then check your fuses. If both check out, come back and report this and I will explain what to do next.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
27 Aug 2006 14:51 #72840 by Frazzles
Replied by Frazzles on topic No Power!! Please Help!!!
I've finally got her running and i found out that all fo the electrical stuff works when started. The horn, lights and signals, and the panel. I'm pretty stoked just to have her running and i was able to get it to idle for a while so i could check the lights and signals and sure enough they work. I figure out why i don't get any power unless the bike is started. And be able to use the push button starter.

More
27 Aug 2006 16:52 #72857 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic No Power!! Please Help!!!
Sounds like your battery is toast.
My battery was two years old when I bought the bike... I put two more years on it, and it won't hold a charge anymore.
I have to kick start it, and then it runs fine.
But I'm off to the battery store to pick up a new one.

I don't know how long an M/C battery should last. I got 4 yrs. Is that about right?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
27 Aug 2006 18:42 #72870 by Frazzles
Replied by Frazzles on topic No Power!! Please Help!!!
I just put a brand new battery in it no more than a month ago.