Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 15:50 #7048

• Jarek
  • Jarek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, my starter is acting up. I was thinking of buying a used one but it's from a different model of bike. I have a kz 440 and i believe this one is for a 750 or 1000. Would it be possible that the starter's compatible with my bike or would the output cook my electrical?

Has anyone ever tried to fix a starter? if it comes down to that then is it a feasable option? Thanks guys.

Jarek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 16:03 #7050

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome to KZR Jarek. Look at this site: Kawasaki Parts Diagrams for the different parts diagrams of the kawi models. Just choose your year, engine size and models and scroll through the parts dia.

Or if you're lucky, someone with a Parts Cross reference CD could see which others are the same as yours.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 16:15 #7053

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
It appears from the CD that only KZ400 and KZ440 Kawasakis use that particular part.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 16:33 #7058

• Jarek
  • User
RonKZ650 wrote:

It appears from the CD that only KZ400 and KZ440 Kawasakis use that particular part.

ay yay yay...well thats no good for me. Thanks for the look up, much appreaciated. Good thing winters coming around, gives me a chance to tinker with it..can't get any worse than it already is.

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 16:46 #7060

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You say your starter is "acting up"
What is it doing or not doing?
We have automotive starters rebuilt with
good results. Find an Automotive Electrical shop.
(Generators, Starters, etc.)
Harry

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 20:17 #7108

• Jarek
  • User
basically the bike doesn't want to start up. If i turn the key my neutral light lights up, the headlight lights up so that's all fine. I press the starter button and it just drains all the juice that no light is visible and it doesn't want to turn over.

If i bump start it, it'll go then it'll die if i try to let it idle or give it gas. How much would a starter rebuild go for roughly?

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 22:16 #7119

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Try cleaning and tightening all the electrical connections, sounds like you may have a bad connection at the battery, or possibly a bad ground.
KD9JUR

Starter here to there 07 Nov 2005 23:05 #7128

• ~DW~
  • User
If you end up needing a starter and want to "do it yourself ?
These people have starter rebuild kits for around $30.00

www.dbelectrical.com/

Starter here to there 08 Nov 2005 06:52 #7150

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Like already mentioned, check for loose connections first. Also check the battery. It might be weak. Another thing to check is that the power cable from the starter relay(solenoid) to the starter isn't grounding.

And you should have in mind that it is correct the starters are interchangeable between the 1974-1983 KZ400/440 models. But that is only as a complete assy. The internals like the carbon brushes and their holders, are different for the later starters, 1980 440 and on.

Starter here to there 08 Nov 2005 07:45 #7154

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
My 650 acted the same as your bike, and it turned out to be a bad battery. Several cells were weak enough to keep the starter from working, yet strong enough to kick start. It ran worse and worse until I put in a fresh new battery. Problem gone.

Checking and cleaning connections is a few hours well spent. Di-electric grease, wire brush, steel wool, or sandpaper, and electrical contact cleaner will help. I had to replace numerous connections.

You can check the Electrical Fault Flow Chart in the files section, (not model specific). It may show you some other areas to look at, but I think it calls for a fresh charged battery before running the tests.

Good luck.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Starter here to there 08 Nov 2005 18:58 #7253

• Jarek
  • User
thanks guys, i'll try out the following as mentioned. Hopefully it turns out to be something minor. I'll take a look at it after exams, maybe the weather will hold up until then...

• Page: