here is a signal question stumper for ya

More
06 Aug 2006 23:05 #67667 by Torch
Im thinking about using twin Sparto tail lamps, and for a cleaner look, it would be sweet if it were possible to have the corresponding side flash for turn. So how exactly would i need to wire that up to work the way im wanting it to work. I know it can be done, several cars have a single bulb performing all the functions in the tail lamps.

I wouldn't have to worry about it, but my state obviously changed the law one year when i wasn't paying attention and now all bikes made after 1972 have to have turn signals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2006 23:19 #67670 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
Torch wrote:

Im thinking about using twin Sparto tail lamps, and for a cleaner look, it would be sweet if it were possible to have the corresponding side flash for turn. So how exactly would i need to wire that up to work the way im wanting it to work. I know it can be done, several cars have a single bulb performing all the functions in the tail lamps.

I wouldn't have to worry about it, but my state obviously changed the law one year when i wasn't paying attention and now all bikes made after 1972 have to have turn signals.

Ahh, good question. How did cars use a single bulb for brakes and turn signal? The switching circuitry was done in the complicated turn signal switch assembly.

Bikes don't have that circuitry in the turn signal switch, so you need an external integrator. You can get them cheap at Farm $ Fleet type stores.

I designed several, but the parts end up costing more than the Farm & Fleet units. Back when I designed them, i could only find $100 integrators for motorcycles. I think the cheaper ones are less than $20 now.

In case your interested: www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZturnSigInteg.html

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/07 02:22

More
06 Aug 2006 23:34 #67673 by Torch
Replied by Torch on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
Thanks for the information, but it looks like finding a cheap integrated would be better than me trying to make one. I never got that far into circuitry to design something that complicated, and if i can get one for around $20...it almost wouldn't be worth the time trying.

More
07 Aug 2006 04:59 #67698 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
you just need a trailer adaptor and electronic flasher from autozone cost about 25$ i did it to my yamaha. the electronic flasher is for the reduced load when you hit the brakes the light flashes to off when the front is on.

i know the image isnt very clear but its all i have right now

Post edited by: btchalice, at: 2006/08/07 08:00

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.
Attachments:

More
09 Aug 2006 08:55 #68272 by Wizzard
Replied by Wizzard on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
I got a tail light off a newer sport bike (honda) witch has tail and signal intrageted in to it looks clean and like it belongs. I think so anyways.
Wizzard B)

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks
Attachments:

More
11 Aug 2006 19:43 #68849 by Torch
Replied by Torch on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
Wizzard wrote:

I got a tail light off a newer sport bike (honda) witch has tail and signal intrageted in to it looks clean and like it belongs. I think so anyways.
Wizzard B)

So the signal converter is made into the tail light? What year and model honda did that come off of? Doesn't look too shabby, and if its an all in one deal...less wiring is always better.

More
13 Aug 2006 06:48 #69067 by Wizzard
Im not sure just went to the local bike shop and we started lookin for LED tail lights untill we found this one and I got it and it loos preat good had to make the mounting bracket for it but that was easy. But if I rember right it was a new cbr honda.

Wizzard B)

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

More
13 Aug 2006 10:54 #69113 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
Heh, I've looked at this thread a number of times, but never noticed the kid peeking over the bars, till now. Made me laugh. Nice tail light too!

More
14 Aug 2006 08:06 #69302 by Wizzard
My daughter was happy that she made you laugh!! And thanks I like the light too.

Wizzard B)

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

More
20 Sep 2006 18:15 #78335 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic here is a signal question stumper for ya
I didnt notice your daughter till i read what the last guy said. O yeah that was funny, I tell ya if I had a bad day she was enough to make my day a little brighter. Real cute man, like a little fairy!!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean