76 kz900 turn signals

More
07 Aug 2006 11:59 #67794 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
Hmmm... The KZ900 rear brakelight power comes from the blue subcircuit off the ignition switch. The turn signals are fed by the brown off the ignition switch via the turn signal relay where the brown becomes orange. I would first look for butchering in the right hand switchgear wiring. Next I would remove the wiring harness and pull off the wrapping and have a look and connect it correctly after cleaning the contacts with spray contact cleaner and using some dielectic grease.

The orange hot wire pushes voltage through to each side of the turn signal switch. One side has a green wire and the other a gray. The ground in front is from a washer that sits under the turn signal color which fits over the turn signal stem. The ground is black/yellow and plugs into a multi-connector (headlight ground also plugs in to this connector I believe). In the back the grounds work the same except the plug into a mutli-connector on the taillight harness. All these grounds end up at the main ground on the engine cases behind the kickstarter.

I don't think your problem is the turn signal relay but something is hooked up wrong or there has been some owner induced splicing in the past that will require surgery to correct.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2006 09:14 #68275 by wiley90
Replied by wiley90 on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
Ok, I found a broken wire at a connecter orange in color coming from the signal switch. Fix that and they work!! Now I still have some thing wrong because when you turn on the right signal they flash but on the dash the left indicator flashes. And when you turn on the left signal they flash but on the dash the stop lamp flashes. Also when you apply the brakes the left indicator on the dash comes on. Some thing is not right.

More
09 Aug 2006 18:19 #68382 by wiley90
bump for any ideas?

More
09 Aug 2006 19:47 #68413 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
Inside the headlight (or maybe under the tank) you still have some wires swapped. You'll have to look at the diagram to check the colors.

More
09 Aug 2006 19:50 #68414 by KZJohn
Replied by KZJohn on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
wiley90 wrote:

Ok, I found a broken wire at a connecter orange in color coming from the signal switch. Fix that and they work!! Now I still have some thing wrong because when you turn on the right signal they flash but on the dash the left indicator flashes. And when you turn on the left signal they flash but on the dash the stop lamp flashes. Also when you apply the brakes the left indicator on the dash comes on. Some thing is not right.

Sounds to me like someone has put the wrong bulbs in the wrong locations in the instrument panal. Pull the outer inst panal off and just relocate the bulbs to the proper spots.

More
10 Aug 2006 03:08 #68448 by wiley90
Thanks for the reply. I will check thimgs again and post what I find.

More
10 Aug 2006 06:42 #68474 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
KZJohn wrote:

wiley90 wrote:

Sounds to me like someone has put the wrong bulbs in the wrong locations in the instrument panal. Pull the outer inst panal off and just relocate the bulbs to the proper spots.

ooops, I didn't even think of that! :blush:

More
10 Aug 2006 09:39 #68502 by wiley90
Yes!! Thank you very much! The bulbs were in the wrong place. I will have to keep this all in mind on my next project. You never know what the previous owner has fooled with. Or that is just part of the basket case fun!
Dean