76 kz900 turn signals

More
05 Aug 2006 09:08 #67282 by wiley90
76 kz900 turn signals was created by wiley90
Help! I am still struggling with my turn signals. For some reason I have no power to the switch. The hazard switch works fine and all signals flash. But the signals wont work and I have no power to the switch. Any ideas?
Thanks
Dean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2006 09:15 #67285 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
the switch controls the ground

power will be at the positive side of the signal light

the flasher units are seperate between 4 ways and turn indicators. switch 'em and test

corrosion at the flasher unit possible excessive resistance

More
05 Aug 2006 09:23 #67286 by wiley90
Replied by wiley90 on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
I just put new flashers on both. could I have a bad ground? Also when you h9it the front brake the right signal indicator comes on. Something is not right

More
05 Aug 2006 09:37 #67287 by amedeo
Replied by amedeo on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
check corrosion in thumb switch.I dion't know your exact setup,but i had a proplem because when you switched the switch -corrosion on the contacts kept them from working.contact cleaner stopped that.if you hit the brake and stop works -switch wires.like i say certain systems work the same.

More
05 Aug 2006 09:49 #67289 by amedeo
Replied by amedeo on topic sorry wrong wire.
Let me find a print

More
05 Aug 2006 14:16 #67332 by wiley90
Replied by wiley90 on topic sorry wrong wire.
I still am not getting the signals to work. The bike doesn't need to be running for them to work right? This should not be this difficult. Frustration. Sorry about the rant! Maybe I will go have a beer and relax!

More
06 Aug 2006 05:20 #67440 by wiley90
Well If their is someone on this forum that lives close to Sheboygan Wi and would be willing to stop by and help this idiot out I would really appretiate the help. Free beer!!! Or if you don't like beer my wife makes homemade jam.
Dean

More
06 Aug 2006 17:33 #67564 by wiley90
Bump! Any help please.

More
06 Aug 2006 22:59 #67665 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
trippivot wrote:

the switch controls the ground

power will be at the positive side of the signal light

the flasher units are seperate between 4 ways and turn indicators. switch 'em and test

corrosion at the flasher unit possible excessive resistance

The signals are grounded. A pulsed 12volt source goes to the turn signal switch which directs the 12 volts to the appropriate signals. The pulsed 12 volts comes from the turn signal flasher relay.

The hazards are pulsed from a different flasher relay.

There are also diodes to prevent feedback loops in the tail light system.

There is also a diode involved with the turn signal beeper.

Inspect or replace the turn signal flasher first (I guess you already did that). If that doesn't fix it, check the diodes. I believe there are at least three diodes hidden somewhere.

Also, you apparently have some crossed wires if the brake switch affects the signals.

The Clymer diagram has a few mistakes in it, so you'll need some general knowledge to identify the errors.

Here's the errors I spotted in just a few seconds:
The front left signal wire is green and should connect to a green wire, not the oil pressure light as the diagram shows.

The left signal ground (black/yellow) should be tied to the other grounds. The diagram only shows it going to the headlight ground.

The diode on the turn signal relay looks like it may be drawn backwards, or in the wrong place.

There are probably others.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/07 02:50

More
07 Aug 2006 03:01 #67689 by wiley90
Thanks for the responce. I will look for the diods and double check my wires again.
Dean

More
07 Aug 2006 11:25 #67786 by wiley90
I can't seem to find the diodes. It looks like I will be using hand signals when I get this bike running!!

More
07 Aug 2006 11:34 #67788 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 76 kz900 turn signals
This is from the KZ rider filebase, it's a factory wiring diagram for a 76 900:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_docman/...w/gid,264/Itemid,49/

If you look right at the turn signal flasher relay, you'll see a black arrow with a line across the tip of the arrow. That is a diode. The actual diode probably looks like a little piece of plastic in the wiring right at the connector to the flasher.

As I suspected, the Clymer's version is backwards. This factory diagram shows it the right way.

However, I'm not convinced the diodes are your problem. You seem to have some wires crossed judging by the wierd brake switch behavior.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/08/07 14:43