Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Battery 29 Jul 2006 18:18 #65747

• bs1134
  • bs1134's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When I buy a new battery, does it need to be charged at all or can I pop it right in....I hope that is not a really stupid question, sorry if it is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Battery 29 Jul 2006 19:00 #65771

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
That depends...pop it in where?
Actually most batteries I've used suggest a hr or 2 top off on a trickle charger. But I've "popped" them in and gone for a nice long ride and had no problems too. But make sure if youre putting acid in them to let them sit a while to let the plates bubble out. Then re-top and yer good! And make sure you run the vent correct unless you like acid stains on yer chrome.

New Battery 01 Aug 2006 17:21 #66490

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
new batteries need to be filled and fully charged

a 2 amp charge for 6-8 hours will do for a YB 14 L A-2
or a 6 amp charge for 1-2 hours depending on how hot the battery itself gets.
slower is better
if you do not charge it with a good battery charger the battery will never achieve a fully charged state.
what happens is that it may get to be 60-75% of what it should be.

New Battery 01 Aug 2006 18:48 #66512

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

First, unwrap the battery, unkink the vent tube and snip about a half-inch off the end, unless it's a maintenance-free type and doesn't have a vent tube. Next, fill it with electrolyte midway between the high and low level markings on the case. Next, let the battery sit for one or two hoursafter which the battery will still be at only 65% of full charge. Check the electrolyte level and add electrolyte if required. That's rightadd electrolyte. This is the only time in the life of your battery that you can ever add anything but water.

Nowsurpriseyou must still charge the battery. If it is a refillable lead-antimony type, it should be charged at one-third of its rated capacity in amp/hours for four to five hours to get it to full charge. Honda and Yuasa recommend that the maintenance-free type should be charged with a constant-current charger that can drive the charge with as much as 16.9 volts and closely monitored not to exceed full charge (another reason to buy a smart charger). Afterwards, recheck the level and add water if required. Finally, let the battery cool so the case contracts enough to fit into its typically tight little holder, run the new breather tube (if it has one) carefully through the original factory routing, being sure that it's well away from your chain and you're ready to go.

LINK

And the Yuasa FAQ

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/01 21:54
KD9JUR

• Page: