Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Testing charging system 24 Jul 2006 08:11 #64209

• pg4827
  • pg4827's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a problem with my voltage at the battery. When I turn on the lights my voltage drops to 11.90VDC. With the lights off I get 12.95VDC this is with the engine running at 1000rpm. I put on a new voltage regulator rectifier combination unit I got from Z1enterprise. I need to know how to test my stator to see if it is putting out enough AC volts? Also I would like to know what is a good reading for my stator? Any other advice will be welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testing charging system 24 Jul 2006 08:57 #64214

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
pg4827 wrote:

I have a problem with my voltage at the battery. When I turn on the lights my voltage drops to 11.90VDC. With the lights off I get 12.95VDC this is with the engine running at 1000rpm. I put on a new voltage regulator rectifier combination unit I got from Z1enterprise. I need to know how to test my stator to see if it is putting out enough AC volts? Also I would like to know what is a good reading for my stator? Any other advice will be welcomed.

On a side note, I had a similar problem with a dead battery (I didn't know it was dead at the time).

Whenever I turned on lights or something, the dash lights would all dim and volts would drop down to 11, 10, 8 whatever. It took three days for my smart charger to (supposedly) charge it. The bike ran fine all along though. I switched to a new battery, and no prob, all better.

By the way, I typed "test stator" in the search box, and among others, I found this gem: Click this link .

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/07/24 12:01
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Testing charging system 24 Jul 2006 17:55 #64376

• pg4827
  • pg4827's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I took the bike to a Kawasaki shop and they tested the battery and it was good. At 5000rpm the meter the meter read 14.57VDC. That was with all the lights off it droped to 13.75 with the lights on. I read the thread on testing I will try that ASAP.

Testing charging system 25 Jul 2006 06:22 #64516

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
first you need a good strong battery

motorcycle charging systems are NOT designed to charge the battery - they only cover the loads

a weak battery will make the system behave this way

my question is do you have a ampmeter? this is the real test noboddy does. it is the real indicator of electrical flow.

dosent mean a thing if you have 14 volts and .01 amps
nothing gets done with a reading like that. it is deceptive using only a volt meter

smart chargers operate at 1.5 amps not enough to energize all 6 cells once the specific gravity of the electrolite goes weak you need a 2/6 amp real battery charger to be effective.

Testing charging system 25 Jul 2006 11:47 #64594

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
trippivot wrote:

first you need a good strong battery

Not necessarily. You can run without a battery at all if you use a cap.
Also, I ran a whole year with an old defective battery. It would not take a charge at all, but I could bumpstart with no problem and it ran fine with a consistent 14 volts. But the battery was not shorted internally, it was just not able to take a charge.

trippivot wrote:

motorcycle charging systems are NOT designed to charge the battery - they only cover the loads

They have to charge the battery or the battery would be dead after a few starts. Charging systems have more than enough capacity to charge a battery and often they shorten the life of a battery by charging too much.

trippivot wrote:

a weak battery will make the system behave this way

What do you mean by weak? A defective battery may, meaning one with a shorted cell or one that won't hold a charge, but a battery that is simply low on charge won't.

trippivot wrote:

my question is do you have a ampmeter? this is the real test noboddy does. it is the real indicator of electrical flow.

True, but it's not really necessary in most cases. Since the load is known, a voltage test implies the current. If you are blowing fuses then you know you are using too much current. The only area that is not covered by a fuse is between the battery and the rectifier (although, I've seen some stock KZ's with fuses there too). If the battery is sucking down so much current that the charging system can't keep up with it, the battery will be very apparent that it is defective. It will not turn over the engine at all.

trippivot wrote:

dosent mean a thing if you have 14 volts and .01 amps
nothing gets done with a reading like that.

That is an impossible reading which could never occur if the bike is running. By knowing the load, knowing the voltage is all you need. The fact that the bike is running tells you are getting at least 5 amps or 10 amps with the lights on. If it's at 14 volts, you know the charging system is doing something since it's near the maximum voltage the regulator will allow. This means it's even possible the charging system has more in reserve.

trippivot wrote:

smart chargers operate at 1.5 amps not enough to energize all 6 cells once the specific gravity of the electrolite goes weak you need a 2/6 amp real battery charger to be effective.

The current through the battery is dependent on the voltage applied to the battery. If a charger is designed to force 1.5 amps, then it will apply as much voltage as it can to achieve that 1.5 amps. I haven't seen a charger like that. Most chargers put out a large voltage but with a high internal impedance so the voltage drops quickly if the current increases. (It's basically the behavior of a transformer's output characteristic.)

You don't want a forced-current charger because if the battery is charged, there is no reason to force 1.5 amps through it. The 2 or 6 amp rating on "dumb" chargers are just approximate. They put out more or less depending on the state of the battery, but by natural means, not sophisticated circuitry.

Regardless of the type of charger, the basic operation is the same. That is: apply a voltage to the terminals, and the state of the battery will determine the current. The smart ones read the current and determine the state of the battery and shut off accordingly.

Testing charging system 25 Jul 2006 11:47 #64595

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Always a double post

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/07/25 14:48

Testing charging system 25 Jul 2006 11:54 #64596

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
pg4827 wrote:

I took the bike to a Kawasaki shop and they tested the battery and it was good. At 5000rpm the meter the meter read 14.57VDC. That was with all the lights off it droped to 13.75 with the lights on. I read the thread on testing I will try that ASAP.

It just seems that your charge system is weak. It's almost like it's on two phases instead of three. I would ohm out the alternator's three leads to see if one is shorted to another or to ground.

Disconnect the wires from the stator at the reg/rec. It's the 3 yellow (maybe pink/blue/yellow) wires. Measure the resistance between each pair then measure the resistance from each wire to ground. There should be no connection to ground. Between each pair, someone will have to chime in to tell you what the resistance should be around.

Testing charging system 26 Jul 2006 07:00 #64799

• trippivot
  • User
here is a basic design of the charging system
Attachments:

Testing charging system 26 Jul 2006 07:07 #64803

• trippivot
  • User
A is the stator
B and C are a single unit on your bike but the work the same.
the fuses and key switch are left out

the stator spec is 0-1 ohm between the 3 leads
1-2 1-3 2-3
insulation breakdown is a test where you use the same setting on the meter
put the meter from any lead to ground

Open Line is what you are looking for or if you have a swing needle meter you want infinity (needle does NOT move)

• Page: