Bike went down, points cover & pickup coil destroyed!

More
24 Jul 2006 10:25 #64248 by retrorider
- Crank spins when I hit the starter.
- No spark.
- Starter cranks, engine never fires.

Seeing as I have a replacement pickup coil, I'm going to do some searching for the mounting bracket and a new points cover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2006 10:48 #64256 by loudhvx
But why are you trying to start a motor that clearly has no ignition components on it? There is only about 1 chance in 500 billion that it would start. (Never say never :laugh: )

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/07/24 13:49

More
24 Jul 2006 12:47 #64286 by EddieBoy
personally i think you need more than a dab of jb weld...your engine cases are broken..they are repairable but quick fixes are just a waste time unless your stranded 500 miles from home or something.
take it and have it professionally repaired. the cases need to be T.I.G. welded...The alignment of the pickup coils needs to be very precise. If the case got hit hard enough to break the cover off and break the mounts for the ignition pick-ups..whats left of those same mounts will be bent as well. Get your new parts and take them to your local fab or welding shop. Look for the lil skinny guy in the back that looks like he hasnt bathed in a week. Hand him your parts and show him the bike...He'll know what to do. .....or replace your cases.

Tell me whats gonna happen when your epoxy comes loose riding down the highway at 55mph?

The best way is almost never the easiest....
and never cheapest!

Ed

More
24 Jul 2006 12:59 #64291 by 77Davo650
"Look for the lil skinny guy in the back that looks like he hasnt bathed in a week. Hand him your parts and show him the bike...He'll know what to do."

That's the exact description of the go-to guy at my salvage shop, haha.

77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

More
25 Jul 2006 06:49 #64525 by trippivot
do you know any one that knows how to weld cast aluminium?
JB weld is not going to be strong enough
good luck.
maybe it is time to put a GPz 750 engine in your frame??

More
25 Jul 2006 22:20 #64765 by agawam
from the looks of it, its going to be cheaper and better to find the gpz engine or atleast another KZ engine. That is never going to be the same...soccermoms only care about the cell phone, the latte in the holder,and how to cope with all those screaming kids in the back in that order,if you are in the way your history and it will be your fault when the smoke clears if by chance you get noticed rolling out from under the rear bumper

More
25 Jul 2006 22:44 #64769 by agawam
There is a GPZ engine for sale in the classifieds

More
26 Jul 2006 07:58 #64823 by donthekawguy
OUCH! I would say you will be lucky to find anyone to fix it. Case gaurds for x-mas?

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Jul 2006 08:51 #64843 by steell
Wish you were a lot closer because I'd take that motor off your hands if you bought another one. If I couldn' fix it I have spare GPz750 cases :)

KD9JUR

More
27 Jul 2006 21:28 #65370 by bmosley
I'll send you some 'lumaweld" rods to try, for free! You can't buy this stuff no more. Check my last posts.

Brent

More
29 Jul 2006 17:21 #65735 by Sendhendrix
Bud, you're best off putting another motor in it. That would take some serious skill and luck to get welded up right. Man, that really sucks. I'm sorry about your mishap, but I'm also glad you didn't break anything on your person! Hang in there, man.

More
31 Jul 2006 15:09 #66157 by retrorider
Naw, don't think I'm committed enough to transplant another engine, though it sounds tempting, I'm not down for the garage/time/money committment. Posted an ad in the classifieds section for the bracket/pickup coil assembly. Hope that someone with a parts bike can fulfill my need. Then I'll try instaweld/permanent welding. Otherwise may have to sell as a project/parts bike.

If anyone knows anyone with a pickup coil bracket/assembly, please point them my way. Thanks.