Bike went down, points cover & pickup coil destroyed!

More
23 Jul 2006 15:18 #64074 by retrorider

New member here, though i've lurked for some time gleaning some very lucrative information from you knowledgeable people. Pix are in my gallery.

I have an '84 KZ700, 25K miles, pretty good condition. Was trying to navigate out of a parking lot in uber-suburban Orange County when a soccer mom pulled out in front of me, forcing me to brake and swerve at the same time. Went down at 2-5 mph, no bruises just a scape, however, the points cover on my bike took the brunt of the fall (it went over on the right side). The impact shattered the cover completely, as well as the pickup assembly.

Upon closer examination at home (along with the service manual), it seems that the magnet is missing, along with the pick-up coil, the timing advancer, and the timing rotor. Please let me know if that's what you see in these pictures.

The starter turns over, but the engine won't start, and I set about trying to find a replacement part. No luck with Kawi dealers or salvage yards, so I went with this 3rd party generic starter motor brush plate from Mitsuba .

A couple questions:
1) What else do you see is missing? What do I need to buy?
2) How can I mount the assembly if the screw sockets are broken?
3) What other models have compatible parts?
4) Is there anyone local who can help me out with this?

Thanks in advance for your responses, I really could use the help keeping this baby alive.

I'm in Orange County, California.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2006 15:47 #64082 by EddieBoy
Ok...so who's gonna break the bad news to him?:unsure: :dry:

More
23 Jul 2006 15:59 #64084 by steell
That bike does not have a timing advancer, the ignitor handles the advance electronically. You can use JB Weld to build up the broken posts then drill and tap them. 83-85 GPz750 pickup coils and rotor should work.

The hard part is going to be getting the broken bolts out of there, it can be done it's just a pain.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/07/23 20:08

KD9JUR

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
More
23 Jul 2006 16:18 #64086 by jbw7300
I own a kz700 this is a pic of my ignition hope this helps, looks as if your just missing the pickup coils and bracket

Post edited by: jbw7300, at: 2006/07/23 19:20

84 kz 700 a1 sports
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2006 17:38 #64088 by loudhvx
Jbw, nice photo! Now I can see why the electronic advance pickups won't fit into a mechanical-advance engine, even though a mechanical-advance pickup will fit into a e-advance motor.

Thanks!

More
23 Jul 2006 18:41 #64105 by retrorider
Thanks for the replies.

According to the service manual that came with my bike (which is for the KZ750 and has a GPZ750 on the cover)

So looks like I need to:
- Fix those sockets so I can use screws in them again
- Get a mounting bracket for the brush plates
- Mount the brush plates and wire into the electrical harness.

Does that sound right? Please correct any wrong assumptions I might have.

Anyone know offhand where I can locate a bracket and cover?

More
23 Jul 2006 19:38 #64113 by steell
You say the starter turns over but the engine don't? As in the starter just spins?
If that is the case then the parts you bought won't do you any good, you need to clean/repair/replace the starter clutch which is on the countershaft mounted inside the motor right behind the crank.

I have heard of people repairing/replacing the starter clutch without pulling the motor, but they must have far more dexterity than I do :woohoo:

KD9JUR

More
23 Jul 2006 20:58 #64135 by kawsakiman
starter turns over but engine don't start? by your pics we all can see the ignition is gone so it will never start. you can use jb weld but i would suggest a compatent welder to build them back up so it is a permanant fix. after it is running again i would look for the soccer mom and then choke the hell out of her!

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
23 Jul 2006 21:48 #64154 by retrorider
To clarify:

The starter works, but the engine won't kick over, as if there is no gas getting to it. And yes, fuel is flowing.

Thanks for your replies. Keep it coming!

More
23 Jul 2006 23:27 #64162 by kawsakiman
engine does not turn over or turns over and does not fire?

More
23 Jul 2006 23:29 #64163 by Werewolfx
you've lost your spark via loss of pickup coils, if your bike is turning over with the starter, its nothing to do with your starter, based on your pictures, theres nothing making the sparkplugs spark.

Chris

More
23 Jul 2006 23:30 #64164 by kawsakiman
is there a possibly the crank was broke? does the shaft on the right side turn while you are engageing your starter? if not you have majior problums

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/07/24 02:30