Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

old charging system woes 22 Jul 2006 19:40 #63962

• udder
  • udder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ok i have a 78 kz 1000 ltd with the old style seperate style charging system as in seperate regualer adn rectifer. the staer tests ok on resistance and also has 25 volts at 2000 rpm and 50 volts at 4000 rpm. regulater is a new one that tests ok. where do i go from here cuz the fault finding chart is for a combined unit. thanks in advance fellas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

old charging system woes 24 Jul 2006 07:41 #64202

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
If I have this straight, the stator tests out OK? The regulator tests out OK? To test the regulator, I suggest you test the battery voltage at idle. Should be about 12.8 VDC and then rev engine to 4K rpm and test again. Should be about 14.5 VDC. If you have 14.5 VDC at this point, you might want to get a hydrometer and test the cells on your battery unless you can get a local bike shop to load test it. I would strongly suspect the battery is shot OR you have a bad ground. Check the wire going to your engine that provides a ground... it can often be corroded inside the plastic sheathing and will otherwise look OK. Look for a bad ground connection with is usually just a loose bolt on the engine where the wire bolts down. I think it is possible for the rectifier bridge to be tested but I have my notes on this up in my shop. If you need help, drop in at my message forum on my web site or drop me an email as I will be out of town a few days. BTW: A hydrometer tests the battery cells to see if they are shorted which is pretty common and a likely reason the battery won't hold a charge. This happens even on pretty new batteries. A hydrometer looks like an eyedropper with colored balls in the clear part. Get the smallest they have as the holes on your battery are pretty small.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

old charging system woes 27 Jul 2006 13:20 #65211

• udder
  • udder's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
converted to newer style combined system and problem solved thanks wired

• Page: