Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit

• sf4t7
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
Yesterday 05:36 - Yesterday 05:39 #905367 by sf4t7
Last year I updated my ignition with the wired george relay.  Used a Hella 003530001 fused relay mounted near the coils. 
Here is a photo of the installed relay. 

Near the end of a 40 mile ride Monday the bike all of a sudden stopped running, at first I thought I maybe hit the kill switch by mistake (in the middle of a blast through the gears) but that wasn't it.  Long story short, yesterday I took off the tank to check the relay and fuse.  The fuse was not there, must have worked its way out!  Maybe it was because my install put the relay in a horizontal position, but I don't think that would make any difference.
I'm moving the relay to a spot behind the side cover (mounted vertical just in case), that will mean easier access also.
Figured I'd give a heads up to anyone who mounted the relay the same way.

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion
Last edit: Yesterday 05:39 by sf4t7. Reason: grammar!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Yesterday 09:14 #905378 by Cra-z1
Replied by Cra-z1 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
I used to mount the relay under the tank in. that position, but now I make a small bracket for it and mount it where the rectifier used to be since I run the combo u un unit. Also I use a the 4 pin relay with inline fuse. In case you blow the main fuse which powers the relay you may want to wire a bypass around the relay so you can run the bike to get you home.. The you just remove the side cover plug into bypass  and kick start the bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Wookie58

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
Yesterday 12:20 #905380 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
Relays and fuses don´t like "good vibrations", a damping rubber case or holder would be a good idea....
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

• sf4t7
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
Today 17:37 #905391 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
Yeah, the spot where the rectifyer used to be is where it's moving to. As you said, easy access.  I've also upgraded the main fuse to a blade type 20A and I already carry a couple 15A and 20A in the tail section as spares.

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
Today 06:17 - Today 06:39 #905401 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
Assuming the fuse on the relay is for the relay common, i.e. switched power to the ignition coil primaries' circuit?  If so, doesn't that results in a run of ~24" or so of un-fused wire between the connecion to 12V and the fuse? Although unlikely, a short to ground anywhere along that wire between power & the fuse would result in melted insulation, at best.
We've always fused a circuit as close to the power supply as possible.  On a Z1 coil relay mod, we place a capped inline blade fuse holder about a 2" wire run from the start relay terminal where we pick up battery power for the ignition coil primaries.
Out of curiosity, what is the rating of the fuse in the relay?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: Today 06:39 by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: Typo

More
Today 07:12 - Today 07:12 #905402 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit

Assuming the fuse on the relay is for the relay common, i.e. switched power to the ignition coil primaries' circuit?  If so, doesn't that results in a run of ~24" or so of un-fused wire between the connecion to 12V and the fuse? Although unlikely, a short to ground anywhere along that wire between power & the fuse would result in melted insulation, at best.
We've always fused a circuit as close to the power supply as possible.  On a Z1 coil relay mod, we place a capped inline blade fuse holder about a 2" wire run from the start relay terminal where we pick up battery power for the ignition coil primaries.
Out of curiosity, what is the rating of the fuse in the relay?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
Top advice - a fire under the gas tank will ruin your day !!
Last edit: Today 07:12 by Wookie58.

More
Today 07:49 #905403 by Cra-z1
Replied by Cra-z1 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
I use a 10 amp fuse for the fuse which supplies power to the relay which feeds the ignition circuit and is located in the right side cover and feed from the 12 VDC terminal of the starter solenoid. I believe the Dyna S uses about 4 amps

• sf4t7
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
Today 07:58 #905404 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit
Didn't think about shorts when installing the relay, intent was to mount it close to the coils.  

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion

More
Today 08:02 #905405 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Surprise issue with relay in coil circuit

Didn't think about shorts when installing the relay, intent was to mount it close to the coils.  
Scotty that is fine, rather than re-doing the job you could secure a replacement fuse (with tape etc) and simply add an inline 10amp fuse as close as possible to the power source :)