Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 18:18 #62043

• DawnKZ750
  • DawnKZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay, my #3 pipe is not getting hot. I changed all the spark plugs and yesterday I took the carbs off cleaned thouroughly and replaced the float needles and seats. I didn't really know what I was doing but I did it, and by the way if there are any ladies reading this - be careful b/c that carb cleaner really does a job on your nail polish. Any way, I was told that maybe the problem was the coil or wires. I switched my #3 wire with my #2 and #3 pipe still not getting hot so I guess it's not the wire. I just want to be sure that the problem is with the coil before I spend the money for a new one. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new at all this. Thanks, Dawn :)
1982 KZ750-E
MASSACHUSETTS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 18:24 #62045

• rdhussey
  • User
Have you checked for spark on your cold cylinder? Try it and pot the result :)

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 18:29 #62051

• DawnKZ750
  • DawnKZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
How would I go about checking the spark? I drained the bowl and there's gas in there and the plug was wet. Sorry, as I said I don't have a lot of experience with bikes but I am learning.
1982 KZ750-E
MASSACHUSETTS

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 18:37 #62059

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
If the coil is bad it will have "two" dead cylinders, not one.

I'd do a compression check to verify the rings and valves are sealing before I went any farther. If one or more cylinders are down on compression my next step would be to check the valve clearances, but that should be done anyway.

Two much fuel will cause a cylinder not to fire, maybe the float level is to high on that carb.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/07/14 21:39
KD9JUR

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 18:38 #62060

• rdhussey
  • User
Take a spare spark plug, remove the spark plug cap from cylinder three nd press them together. Touch the bottom end of the extra plug on your engine and pres the starter. You should see a white or blue spark.

A all orange or no spark means your wire is gone ... WAY cheaper :)

Hope this helps!

Wasn't the Carb, Wasn't the spark plug or wire - is it the coil? 14 Jul 2006 19:27 #62071

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Is this a problem that has arisen since you acquired the bike?

A bad plug is not uncommon. I have purchased new ones that were bad.

Swap that #3 plug for a good one from another cylinder and see if the problem moves.

-Duck

• Page: