Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 05 Jan 2024 08:03 #893625

• rayban
  • rayban's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, my little brother and I both own Z1300's Here in the UK and for some reason his bike will not start, we have the obvious !  Sparks when trying to crank the bike over but no fuel , the injectors are not picking the ground up to open, as I have tried his relays' igniter unit and ecu out of mine which runs my bike ok ! And of course, I have tried mine on his ! The fuel pump is working OK, I tried his full bank of injectors off his on mine, which worked fine,  has anyone with a GPZ 1100 DFI had the same problem ? Is there a diode inline in the harness,  Which I'm missing?  As I've tried every thing on my bike bar the wiring loom! PS, we had the bike running then turned the bike off. I shorted the live of the battery to ground with an Allen key when disconnecting the battery, so I must have an open ground somewhere on the harness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 05 Jan 2024 08:18 #893626

• rangeroy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Ayup mate, this may/maynot help, yes there is a diode in the 1100 harness (no idea what it does) I have a turbo & I dont think it has a diode in the injection harness, I do know that on the turbo the injectors batch fire so you can just swap one lead to another when checking for a faulty injector, good earths are vital & there are various on the turbo also the side stand cutout switch can be a issue along with the clutch switch (all worth checking) good luck
further to this I think the diode may be linked to the cylinder head temp probe
1977 z650
The following user(s) said Thank You: rayban

Last edit: by rangeroy.

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 06 Jan 2024 06:13 #893672

• rayban
  • User
Thanks for the reply back, I have checked the injector harness for a live as they have two, but one gets dropped to the earth as I understand, i took the full bank of injectors off with the manifold and the TPS, and switched it to my bike whole, and it started right up ! There is a healthy spark there! But no smell of fuel, i have replaced or switched over everything but the harness,

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 06 Jan 2024 06:28 #893673

• rangeroy
  • User
when you shorted out the harness did you check the connection under the battery terminal cover? on the turbo there are 4 wires to the connector maybe burnt out one of the thinner wires?
look here
Bringing an E1 back from the dead - Page 8 - 750turbo.com
1977 z650

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 08 Jan 2024 13:21 #893782

• rayban
  • User
Yes i have checked the wires out , as I say I have live to the injectors but no pule to earth them, ignition lights, and it turns over as it should, all the lights come on ! the fuel pump does its cycle but no fuel, !

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 08 Jan 2024 15:35 #893788

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1793
I will try and have a look at a wiring diagram and give you a few suggestions

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 01:55 #893803

• rangeroy
  • User
Main pump relay? do the injectors fire off the ignition like on the turbo? I assume they do so that would be a go to option to check out
good luck
1977 z650

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 02:29 #893806

• Wookie58
So I have had a look at the 1100 wiring diagram (don't currently have a 1300 one so assuming the same system is used given it was introduced on both bikes around the same time)
Are you comfortable with a digital multi-meter and do you have an LED or LED test light (remember they are polarity sensitive when using) I think the battery short is a bit of a "rabbit hole" generally a battery short will either start a fire or blow electronics and you have substituted all the electronic components from your bike.
With these type systems in my experience the most efficient way to diagnose is to systematically work through all the "inputs" and "output" to the ECU. If you work through the below and let me know what you did and didn't have at the ECU then we can look at the next steps (sounds like a bind but will take less time than you have spent on it already !!)

Attachments:

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 03:46 #893809

• rayban
  • User
hi, thanks for the reply regarding the injectors, I have a wiring diagram, it shows diodes but i cant seem to find them on the bike! From  what I've researched and can check on my own bike the two wires that feed the injectors are both live ,  when the coils fire they send an earth to the ecu to let it know when to open the injectors, as with these being so old there is no reading from the camshaft or the crank, the coils are firing as I have a  spark, and the fuel pump is new and working when I crank it over, but no smell of fuel .its, got to be on the harness.

Last edit: by rayban.

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 04:04 #893810

• Wookie58

hi, thanks for the reply regarding the injectors, I have a wiring diagram, it shows diodes but i cant seem to find them on the bike! From  what I've researched and can check on my own bike the two wires that feed the injectors are both live ,  when the coils fire they send an earth to the ecu to let it know when to open the injectors, as with these being so old there is no reading from the camshaft or the crank, the coils are firing as I have a  spark, and the fuel pump is new and working when I crank it over, but no smell of fuel .its, got to be on the harness.
Can you email me the wiring diagram, both sides of any consumer will show live when the ground is open circuit. The checks I have suggested will check the harness

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 06:18 #893814

• roadhazard
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Also you might try posting over on the www.KZ1300.com site. Lots of good info there.

Z1300 electrical problem with the injectors . 09 Jan 2024 07:16 #893817

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Unfortunately the factory manual i have doesn't cover your later year but.. since the drivetrains remained similar, might be relevant for other stuff? Didn't the dresser version share the injection system?   
Attachments:

• Page: