Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cheap ignition 19 Dec 2023 20:12 #892913

• Bcot
  • Bcot's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Wife found my receipts!! So here is the story.. T o have a peaceful house I have to wait for the dust to settle before I spend anymore on my 1979 1000 b3! I went through the top end and put new plugs ,point and all the rest! Took out for a spin and it ran great. After about a 30 mile ride, I did the usual retorqued the head ,check valves and took it back out to get on it. Well it broke up a little at high rpm and then had a popping at idle. Checking things over one of the pivot pins for the new points had come loose. Points where just temporary, my  goal was to eventually put  the factory 1980 electronic ignition on it. But digging through my parts I only have a set of pickups , advancer  assembly and a resistor. No igniter or 2ohm coils ( it has a new set of 4ohm coils on it now) so since I want peace at home and my lawyer said I can’t afford a divorce ,I have one option for now. I picked up a knock off dyna ds2-1 ignition awhile back. It was $35 and I have not had the need or the guts to put it on anything untill now. I quick installed it and the bike starts and free revs good, but it got to cold to ride and it’s put up for the winter. After all that ,,I am wondering if anyone here has ran one of these cheap dyna knock off ignitions and what kind luck they had?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bcot.

Cheap ignition 20 Dec 2023 01:34 #892921

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1469
A few people i know bought the copies to test a couple of years ago and they are still performing just as well as the " genuine " dyna's to this day.
Same goes for the Dyna copy coils.
Dyna did move production to China a good 15 years or more ago so there's reason to believe that the copies are not as fake as it may appear .
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: ronnieV, sf4t7, Wookie58, Bcot

Last edit: by zed1015.

Cheap ignition 20 Dec 2023 16:06 #892955

• Bcot
  • User
Thanks for your reply! I had heard dyna parts are now made in china. But looking for a review of these knock off parts, I could not find a thing. Looking on eBay they are selling, but no real opinions good or bad. I know paying for a name is real, but at 1/4 of the price ,it just seems to good to be true. Good to have information that people have tried them with success! I still plan on the stock transistor 1980 ignition when I get all the parts together.  Thanks again!!!

Cheap ignition 28 Dec 2023 11:55 #893202

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
For what it's worth, a friend bought one and the rotor spit out the little magnet epoxied into it. May be a rare thing but beware, and also, if re-installing one and this happens, be sure to epoxy the magnet back in the right way for proper polarity.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bcot

Cheap ignition 04 Jan 2024 15:59 #893590

• Bcot
  • User
Good to know! Thanks. I might have a genuine rotor laying around, if I do I will definitely switch it out.. thanks again

Cheap ignition 04 Jan 2024 16:36 #893594

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 85
There are quite a few post about the ignition on the site. The magnet is the first problem I have seen. Easy fix, watching the polarity when putting it back on is a good comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bcot

• Page: