Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

95 KZ1000P switch out to LED 08 Nov 2023 14:08 #891485

• penguinphan
  • penguinphan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Another question for the group.  Since I was able to fix the headlight issue, I've decided I would like to switch the headlight, turn signals and brake lights out to LEDs.  First question, is this even possible?  If it is and someone has done this, can you tell me what you used and if you had to modify the electrical system at all.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

95 KZ1000P switch out to LED 09 Nov 2023 02:32 #891507

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1808

Another question for the group.  Since I was able to fix the headlight issue, I've decided I would like to switch the headlight, turn signals and brake lights out to LEDs.  First question, is this even possible?  If it is and someone has done this, can you tell me what you used and if you had to modify the electrical system at all.  Thanks in advance for your help!
Switching out to LED lighting is possible, just a couple of things to be aware of
Turn signals - flasher relay will need to be replaced with a "Non-current sensitive" unit (readily available)
Brake light - keep "incandescent"  bulb in "brake light failure" warning light (may also require a resister if warning light glows)
Headlight - keep incandescent bulb in "high beam" warning light (LED warning light may glow due to voltage leak through the circuit in an LED headlight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: penguinphan

95 KZ1000P switch out to LED 09 Nov 2023 08:40 #891518

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1864
Here is a good source for alternative LED lamps. Use the FL2 red flasher units. Hardest part is finding lamps to fit the KHI sockets. Even though you pick the same lamp style 1157 for instance some LED 1157 will not fit the socket, the LED circuit is larger then the incandescent GLASS lamp not allowing the lamp to fit deep enough into the socket. 

www.superbrightleds.com/
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: penguinphan

Last edit: by Mikaw.
  • Page: