Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000P Headlight and position lights aren't working 04 Jun 2024 00:16 #900198

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062
Connect black lead from the voltmeter to battery ground, red probe to the fuse on the red/blue wire, switch on ignition and move right handlebar switch to the "PO" position - should read battery voltage on both sides of the fuse
Now move the red probe to the fuse on the blue/yellow wire and move the switch to the "ON" position - should now have battery voltage on both sides of both fuses  let me know how you get on

Edit: DISREGARD THE ABOVE, I HAVE JUST LOOKED AT A BETTER VERSION OF THE DIAGRAM. WILL POST INSTRUCTIONS LATER TODAY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wookie58.

KZ1000P Headlight and position lights aren't working 04 Jun 2024 04:09 #900200

• Wookie58
All of the below checks should show within 0.5v of battery voltage when tested with everything connected and switched on - where possible when checking multi-plugs check from both sides (input and output) a difference between the two sides shows a connection issue in the plug. Make a note of all your readings and let me know your results 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: penguinphan

KZ1000P Headlight and position lights aren't working 04 Jun 2024 15:26 #900243

• penguinphan
  • penguinphan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Wookie.  Allow me to apologize if these are really dumb questions, but I've never really worked on cars or motorcycles before. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to pull the gas tank off before I do the testing on the ignition switch?  Where would the wiring plug for the ignition be located?  Would the rest of the testing be done where the right hand switch plugs into the wiring harness (under the gas tank)?

This is possibly unrelated, but I noticed that the 9 pin connector that plugs into the faring was loose.  I plugged it in tighter, but it didn't help with the headlights.  Can you tell me what is controlled by that plug?

Please feel free to tell me if this is obviously beyond me and nothing you tell me would help me.  I would not be offended.  

Thanks again,
Matt

KZ1000P Headlight and position lights aren't working 05 Jun 2024 01:45 #900266

• Wookie58

Hi Wookie.  Allow me to apologize if these are really dumb questions, but I've never really worked on cars or motorcycles before No apology needed, a lot of people who fix vehicles for a living aren't good with electrics.#
Am I correct in thinking that I will need to pull the gas tank off before I do the testing on the ignition switch?  Where would the wiring plug for the ignition be located? most likely under the tank or in the headlight bowl
 Would the rest of the testing be done where the right hand switch plugs into the wiring harness (under the gas tank)? Yes, and where the left hands witch plugs in for the check on the Blue/Yellow at the lock out switch plug and the Hi/Low switch 

This is possibly unrelated, but I noticed that the 9 pin connector that plugs into the faring was loose.  I plugged it in tighter, but it didn't help with the headlights.  Can you tell me what is controlled by that plug? The only 9 pin I can see on the diagram is very relevant as most of the front lighting runs through that plug

Please feel free to tell me if this is obviously beyond me and nothing you tell me would help me.  I would not be offended.    The fact that you are willing to listen and prepared to "have a go" suggests that this is not beyond you. If you do exactly what I say I won't lead you to do anything that could cause damage. I will add a quote from a gentleman called Kurt Hahn who founded the "outward bound trust"
  • "We are all better than we know. If only we can be brought to realise this, we may never be prepared to settle for anything less."

Thanks again,
Matt
Attachments:

KZ1000P Headlight and position lights aren't working 24 Jun 2024 09:24 #901233

• penguinphan
  • penguinphan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Quick update.  Sorry for the delay, but I had to take the KZ to a shop to do some engine work that I can't do.  As part of the work, I asked them to install a new OEM fusebox that I purchased on Partzilla (they seem to have more OEM parts than other places I've tried).  Once they installed the new fuse box, the lights are working perfectly.  They are going to have the KZ for about another week (doing a valve job and some other work), but I can't wait to get it back.  Thank you again for all of your help Wookie!!  You are a true gentleman!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: