• Page:

TOPIC:

ON / OFF Control Switch (TIP) 25 Sep 2023 06:45 #889739

• z1kzonly
  • z1kzonly's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Hello, Marty in Buffalo here. I happened across this picture in my old files. And of course over all the years, hearing and reading about electrical issues, low voltage readings, the Wired George Coil direct wiring etc.
This is just my common sense opinion.
After so many guys spent countless hours searching, cleaning, scratching their heads? And so on! Still getting low voltage at the coils, ign. etc.

That yellow / red wire starts it path from the battery box area and goes to the handle bar kill switch!
2 - 1/8" circles of brass & a .012" piece of copper! Transfer that 12V's to the rest of the system.

Truthfully?? How many guys have dismantled this switch in detail to clean it like this?

My common sense way of thinking, but then again? What do do I know? "That and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee" WE used to say that at work for 32 years! (vending machine coffee)

Just thought I'd pass this along! If it helps one motorcycle out? Cool.

Marty in Buffalo. I had a good run on ebay this past month. After I sold out last year. I came across a few parts to just flip and  clean up and restore.
They came from an HVAC Guy, doing work at a home. This guy was a car guy. Knew nothing about motorcycles, let alone old Kaws. He did the person a favor by cleaning it all out. I don't know what he paid. but he took my offer.
I got lucky! The golden horse shoe must of had some SLICK 50 on it. After the gut punch of the cracked, broken Z1B engine.
Those 29mm Smoothies covered in filters and mounted to a 2x4. Both sides sealed up dry for over 30?? years. Made it all better!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ON / OFF Control Switch (TIP) 26 Sep 2023 05:39 #889778

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 605
Thanks for the post, Marty.  We'd like to elaborate:
Much has been written about low voltage at coil primaries. In addition to the kill switch contacts, the ignition switch is a common culprit.

Some years ago, we assembled a basket case.  Wishing to keep the OEM ignition switch & numbered keys led us to disassemble the ignition switch while chasing voltage drop & intermittent opens across it.  Our findings are documented at the link below:
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60681...-and-troubleshooting

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: