• Page:

TOPIC:

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 01:40 #888961

• scardracs
  • scardracs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all!
Sorry if my post is doubled but I haven’t found any related one. My headlight blown up (and incredibly the fuse is ok) so I need to change it. I have the Z440 C1 (European model) with the 35/35W lamp but I’m unsure in which one I should have to buy. Could you provide to me the correct spare parts code please? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by scardracs.

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 07:57 #888970

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
It's kind of pricy, especially if you're outside the US, but there's a Candlepower NOS H4 sealed beam unit on EB right now.* These are nla as the factory closed after the Fukushima nuclear disaster.  The watts don't seem to be listed, but possibly 60/55W.  I believe it's a direct replacement for the stock sealed beam, but I don't know if there are any wiring considerations if the watts are higher than stock.   
EB search = KZ440 headlight candlepower.

*- these headlights used to be available on the candlepower website but the site is gone

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 08:02 #888971

• scardracs
  • User
I’m not really sure the model of headlight you posted is right at all. As said I need a 35/35W (and I imagine the correct attach is the S2) but I want to be sure asking here.

EDIT

European model (in particular here in Italy if forced) has 2 lamps on headlight for law reasons they must remain 2.

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 08:12 #888972

• martin_csr
  • User
Here's another possible option. See video in the pic section there. www.common-motor.com/honda-cb-headlight-lens-bulb
On something like this, since it's listed for a Honda, you might have to do some modification to make it fit. 
Alternatively, try a google search for site:kzrider.com kz440 headlight. This search will show only KZR topics.

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 09:16 #888973

• Michi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi. You are correct - you need a 35/35W.
I would suggest not exceeding this rating, and keeping it an old-school filament bulb, because the increased heat in the headlight from a higher wattage bulb may cause unpredictable results. Can you adapt the connector to an H4 if it isn't one already? Lots of cheap H4 bulbs made by Lucas on Ebay.

KZ440A LTD (1980)

Last edit: by Michi.

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 09:44 #888974

• scardracs
  • User
My bike is completely stock. I’d just like to know if it is possible to maintain the stock connection and if it is actually the S2 or not

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 10:07 #888975

• martin_csr
  • User
I was assuming your motorcycle came stock with a sealed beam headlight.  
Maybe try searching the diagrams at Cmsnl.com. It's a UK-based site that lists some UK/Euro models.

BA20D bulb/lamp is mentioned in this topic:  www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4852.0 
you might be able to find an LED searching BA20D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scardracs

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 10:24 #888976

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1797

I would suggest not exceeding this rating, and keeping it an old-school filament bulb, because the increased heat in the headlight from a higher wattage bulb may cause unpredictable results. Can you adapt the connector to an H4 if it isn't one already? Lots of cheap H4 bulbs made by Lucas on Ebay.

If you want to fit a brighter (higher wattage) light I can show you how to run it through a relay so you don't overload the factory electrics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michi

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 11:14 #888979

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 370
My question is just what do you need to replace?  A sealed beam system like in the first link or bulbs for the type of system in the second link.

www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-z440d6-1984-europ.../lamp-head_23004064/

www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-z440d6-1984-europ...01-0781mar_23007064/

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 17:33 #888989

• Michi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18

If you want to fit a brighter (higher wattage) light I can show you how to run it through a relay so you don't overload the factory electrics

For sure, I would love to learn that. I am your student. Please advise.
KZ440A LTD (1980)

Need to change the headlight 03 Sep 2023 21:53 #888991

• scardracs
  • User
Mine has 2 bulbs: first one is a 12v 35/35w while second one is a 12v 3.4w. I need to substitute the first one.

Need to change the headlight 04 Sep 2023 03:27 #888993

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1797

For sure, I would love to learn that. I am your student. Please advise.
So initially the stock headlight is fed by a 10a fuse (60w/12v = 5a) the circuit must be capable of at least 10a or the wiring would burn before the fuse blew. However if you want to take the load of of those 40 year old switches and maybe extend their life a little then below is how to take the current off of the switches. By connecting into the original bullet connectors the whole thing is easily reversible. Anything much bigger than 60w will probably start pushing the limits of your charging system.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Michi

Last edit: by Wookie58.
  • Page: