Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna DS2-1 fitment 12 Jul 2023 19:55 #887179

• Aragone79
  • Aragone79's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey guys, I have a 97 kz1000p that I’m wanting to get ignition for. On dyna’s website it says the DS2-1 will fit but it also shows only for years up to 1985.  Just wondering if this is the ignition I need?  Also how are the $50 knock offs on eBay?   Can I use stock coils?  Thanks! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna DS2-1 fitment 15 Jul 2023 04:30 #887239

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033
I don't know if you can use a DS2-1 but if Dyna says you can....I would stick with Dyna.  

That Dyna system mates up with 4 ohm coils.  Check on the primary side of your coils to see if you have the correct impedance.  You can measure from sparkplug wire to sparkplug wire.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aragone79

Dyna DS2-1 fitment 15 Jul 2023 08:55 #887254

• Aragone79
  • Aragone79's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the reply!  I have just under 3 ohms on my stock coils.  It’s just weird that on the Dyna website when I search for parts for my specific bike, it shows that the DS2-1 will fit but under actual description it shows it fits up to 1985 kz1000.  I had to strip all wiring because it was all crusty, unsafe and almost useless.  I’m basically trying to get this thing going for the least amount of money and this would save me some wiring.  I figured if the Dyna DS2-1 fits then I would just get the cheap knock off. Thanks again
Attachments:

Dyna DS2-1 fitment 15 Jul 2023 11:23 #887264

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1816

I don't know if you can use a DS2-1 but if Dyna says you can....I would stick with Dyna.  

That Dyna system mates up with 4 ohm coils.  Check on the primary side of your coils to see if you have the correct impedance.  You can measure from sparkplug wire to sparkplug wire.
You need to measure primary resistance across the terminals on the coil (plug wire to plug wire is secondary winding and will be approx 10k Ohms - 15k Ohms) 
Lot's of people on a budget are using these copy DS2-1 ignitions (I guess you "pays your money and Takes your chances")

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Dyna DS2-1 fitment 15 Jul 2023 15:44 #887280

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033

You need to measure primary resistance across the terminals on the coil (plug wire to plug wire is secondary winding and will be approx 10k Ohms - 15k Ohms) 
Lot's of people on a budget are using these copy DS2-1 ignitions (I guess you "pays your money and Takes your chances")
Doh!  You're right Wookie!  I should have stayed on vacation!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: