Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 12:51 #886231

• hailwood1965
  • hailwood1965's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After sitting for years, a winter of work put it back on the road. Thanks for all help given here. BT46 tires are awesome!

NOW

If the bike sits a few days, I put the key in, push the starter and NOTHING. Lights are strong. Battery is new. When I went through the bike I checked the grounds and they seemed fine.

After pushing the start button ten or seven hundred times the bike will start right up. Turn it off, it restarts fine right away. Let it sit an hour and guess what same thing.

Battery cables are tight and solid.

Keys are original but it does it with both keys ...

Any ideas?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 13:27 #886233

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2074
Could be the switch is making intermittent contact. I would open up the switch, look for a failed or failing solder connection. If they are good, I would spray the switch with some dedicated electrical contact cleaner like Deoxit. Do not use WD40 or brake cleaner or Raid.

Could be a loose connector somewhere in the circuit. I suspect Wookie58 or F64 will be along to provide an accurate and methodical test procedure to determine if there is a connection problem and where it is likely to be.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 13:34 #886235

• Franklin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
I'll suggest check ignition switch. I'm working on a KZ750 that sat for a long time. Got a battery and wanted to see if it would turn starter with plug wires pulled. Lights were OK but nothing when I hit starter. I tried De-oxit spray in the ignition keyhole but it didn't help. You could give that a try.

On the wiring diagram, there's a blocky drawing of the ignition switch. I used that to just ohm out the wires that run through the switch. Found the yellow to brown had no connection when the key was turned on. That goes to neutral switch so think that was the problem. Starter won't go if the neutral signal is not getting through. I ordered a new switch but just received it yesterday so not installed yet.

I had the switch gear off the handlebars because I pulled carbs. I was able verify the clutch switch and the start button were good before I opened headlight to get to ignition switch connector.

*To check the clutch switch, there were two barrel splices along the frame under about the middle of the gas tank (I had tank removed.) Two black wires I think. Just unplugged and checked continuity between them while pulling clutch lever. For starter button I was able to get meter leads onto the back of the push button.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Last edit: by Franklin.

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 16:12 #886246

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
It could be anything.

Do you have a magnetic compass?

Put a compass next to the starter solenoid.
Press the starter button.
Compass needle should swing towards the solenoid
The south part of the compass needle will be attracted to the solenoid

This will check to see if the starter solenoid electromagnet is being energized.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 17:44 #886248

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
My '78 doesn't like to start sometimes using the electric starter button.
I know it's the starter button.
I have to press it, and wiggle the button in a circle.
She will then start.
I have bought a new push button with spring.
The starter and horn share the same part/button.
I just haven't gotten around to changing it.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 20 Jun 2023 22:38 #886255

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1816
Towards the end of the guide on the below link there is a flow chart for diagnosing a starter circuit by "Volt drop"

kzrider.com/forum/forum-index/faq-wiki/6...-fault-finding-guide

Real Puzzler on My 78 KZ650B 04 Jul 2023 14:07 #886828

• Franklin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Don't know if OP ever figured this out, but my no start problem on KZ750 that sat for many years was ignition switch. I finally got around to plugging in the new switch and it cranks the starter now. Carbs are out so not ready to start yet but now starter turns engine (took off points cover and could see crankshaft was turning). With old ignition switch got nothing when trying to start, not even a click.

• Page: