Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 01 May 2023 18:30 #884099

• YamaKawa
  • YamaKawa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Tried googling, couldn't find a solid answer. I have a 79 KZ400 that I am working on a fuel injection conversion. Was running the old points system for ignition and a 3D printed mini "flywheel" with a neodymium magnet and a hall sensor for my injection trigger.

Apparently over winter my hall sensor decided to fail, and the whole set up was janky at best. I had ordered a KZ750 twin CDI/TCI pulse generator and trigger/advance mechanism.

I'm planning to swap my points over to that, use it for ignition and then piggyback the signal to use as my injector pulse as well.

The pulse generator has a black and blue wire, and curious how they wire in? Obviously I'm not afraid to do some wiring; heck I may even rewire the whole bike soon anyways.
1985 Yamaha XJ700N Maxim (airhead) - SOLD
1979 Kawasaki KZ400H (LTD), bought with 8416 original miles. - 'Tis my baby
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD
1995 Suzuki Katana - SOLD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 02 May 2023 01:33 #884105

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1786
Couldn't find a diagram for a 750 with electronic ignition but the below is from a 440 (can't imagine there will be much difference) aside from a ground and a kill switch feed this is a self contained circuit so should be pretty straightforward (the blue/yellow wire is your points wire currently)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 03 May 2023 03:48 #884159

• YamaKawa
  • User
While I do appreciate that diagram, it only helps so much as showing the factory ignitor and doesn't really explain anything other color coordination. I'm not gonna fork an arm and a leg for an original one that may or may not work, and even if it does, for how long?

I'd probably run the GY6 style ignitor that came with the injection kit, which I have a plug for on the injection harness. On the wiring diagram for it, it shows one wire going to the pulse generator, so that gives me one wire for the pulse generator. Where would I slap the other one: power or ground?
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD

Last edit: by YamaKawa. Reason: Mistaken information

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 03 May 2023 04:36 #884161

• Wookie58
  • Away
Does your injection control module also control ignition triggering for the coils ? if not how are you firing the coils and dealing with advance curve ?

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 03 May 2023 04:41 #884163

• YamaKawa
  • User

Does your injection control module also control ignition triggering for the coils ? if not how are you firing the coils and dealing with advance curve?
it can. You can time the ignition electronically, but was just going to use mechanical advance that's built into the trigger mechanism and just set the ignition table to 0⁰ across the board. This way the coil would "immediately" fire upon signal, much like the TCI / points systems did.
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 04 May 2023 04:06 #884221

• Wookie58
  • Away

I'd probably run the GY6 style ignitor that came with the injection kit, which I have a plug for on the injection harness. On the wiring diagram for it, it shows one wire going to the pulse generator, so that gives me one wire for the pulse generator. Where would I slap the other one: power or ground?
Can you post the diagram you are referring to ? in my experience I have only ever seen "induction" or "hall effect" sensors used for this purpose, both of which run two wires from the control unit and operate on a "closed loop"

How to wire CDI/TCI/"Electronic" ignition to a points bike? 16 Aug 2023 18:42 #888347

• lizhifeng
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

I have tried two GY6 igniters, and you need to pay attention to the ignition advance angle. This needs to be adjusted slowly. Two igniters and two triggers can ignite, but they cannot turn high. I don't know why, it may be a problem with the ignition curve 
Attachments:

• Page: