Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 J,K &M ign barrel removal 15 Dec 2022 12:32 #877850

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1771
So I have ended up doing an unplanned little job tonight. I have been helping a new member with an ignition switch query on his 82 KZ1000ltd who was looking to swop it out. However the previous owner had completely butchered the top yolk. Since I'm not using most of my 82 in my build I offered him the top yolk and lock set, he made a fair offer, I accepted and he paid straight away in good faith.
This is where the fun started, I bought the bike partially disassembled and a non runner but still with 6 months MOT valid so have never actually used the ign. I thought should be ok but I will just check it works ok before I box it up. Guess what, switched on and off but would not turn to the "park" or "lock" position. Now I'm not in the game of stitching anybody up so I had a choice, fix it or eat humble pie and give a refund.
As it turns out these locks aren't too difficult to work on once you have worked out how it comes apart
  1. 1st drill out the three "roll pins" which allows the unit to split into two halves 
  2. with the key inserted look up inside the top housing for a wafer, push that in towards the middle and bingo the barrel will pull out ( once you have removed the chrome top cap) be careful at this stage as you pull the barrel out that the wafers don't spring out and go to that special place where anything smaller than an elephant instantly disappears for ever !
  3. then it was just a case of cleaning the crud and hard grease out of everything, de-buring the wafers with a rat tail file then greasing and reassembly with some new 3mm roll pins
Before you ask yes I did at this stage check the electrics in the switch with an ohmeter. So there you have it, a Christmas bonus for Carlos from Spain who bought a 40 year old switch and got a free mechanical re-furb thrown in 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonas_Z1000j

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Wookie58.

82 J,K &M ign barrel removal 15 Dec 2022 13:09 #877851

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
Thanks for the how to on dissassembling an ignition.
In all my years as a Locksmith, having made keys to maybe a hundred bikes, I have only taken a few ignitions apart.
I try to avoid taking them apart, as we had no parts for them.
Was lucky that most we encountered just needed a key, and cutting one by code or other methods usually worked.

Recently bought some of these AccuReaders.
Handy tools when no key or code is available.

AccuReader for Kawasaki KA14 / KW16 | KeyDirect Canada

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: