Low fuel sensor innards

More
26 Oct 2022 10:26 - 26 Oct 2022 12:42 #876034 by KZNTX
Low fuel sensor innards was created by KZNTX
It’s just a resistor.
EDIT: Resistance is .55v when its dry and below that wet. It has a marker at the top of the assembly that says 55 - 8,4
I know several folks have broken ones so figured I would share. Actually I dunno if this one works or not but it does respond to moisture so I can only assume it does!

Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 12:42 by KZNTX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2022 14:04 - 26 Oct 2022 14:05 #876043 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Low fuel sensor innards
I think it's a thermistor & it may be a 1k ohm. From an old reply of mine:

Resistance values & info from my notes. tests done using a VC97 digital multimeter:
Stock fuel level switch on motorcycle, fuel tank full of gasoline & switch submersed in fuel = 4.4 k ohms.
I've never tested the resistance of that fuel switch in air or when the tank was empty.
NOS fuel level switch (27010-1096) = 1.2 k ohms in air.  I've never tested the resistance of the nos fuel switch in fuel.
(1.28 k Ω @ 76F & 1.22 k Ω @ 88F, so the resistance goes down the warmer it gets. I think there's a thermistor in the little can).

Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 14:05 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZNTX

More
26 Oct 2022 14:08 #876044 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Low fuel sensor innards

I think it's a thermistor & it may be a 1k ohm. From an old reply of mine:

Resistance values & info from my notes. tests done using a VC97 digital multimeter:
Stock fuel level switch on motorcycle, fuel tank full of gasoline & switch submersed in fuel = 4.4 k ohms.
I've never tested the resistance of that fuel switch in air or when the tank was empty.
NOS fuel level switch (27010-1096) = 1.2 k ohms in air.  I've never tested the resistance of the nos fuel switch in fuel.
(1.28 k Ω @ 76F & 1.22 k Ω @ 88F, so the resistance goes down the warmer it gets. I think there's a thermistor in the little can).

This is also known as an NTC (negative temperature coefficient) sensor. The idea is the gauge is simply a voltmeter and the lower the resistance gets, the higher the gauge reads (also used for temperature gauges)
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, KZNTX

More
27 Oct 2022 06:58 - 28 Oct 2022 06:55 #876065 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Low fuel sensor innards
Thanks. In the past I've searched for NTC thermistors in case I ever need one or for some shade tree experimenting. I'm assuming a good match to stock would be an axial 1k ohm.  

ps: the fuel switch tends to leak around the red plastic piece w the terminal rivet, so I used Permatex liquid metal to seal it. That was more than 5 yrs ago w no leaks. Seal-All is another product that might could be used.  It's resistant to gasoline & seems readily available. I've never used it, though.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2022 06:55 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, KZNTX