Ignition Coils for Martek 440

More
17 Oct 2022 11:55 - 17 Oct 2022 12:05 #875644 by ktaylor42
Ignition Coils for Martek 440 was created by ktaylor42
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get my bike back on the road after sitting for about 10 years, but it didn't run well 10 years ago. I've been having issues getting the carbs tuned and running well. VM26SS off a KZ1000 FYI. I noticed the #1 & #4 cylinder were running significantly colder then #2& #3. After inspecting, I noticed an ignition coil was cracked and am looking to replace it, but I have no idea what coil to buy. I found out I don't have the stock points and have a Martek 440 electronic ignition if that changes things. Would that change the spark plug or plug gap I should be using?

I know very little and am trying to figure this out as I go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1979 KZ650 B3
Last edit: 17 Oct 2022 12:05 by ktaylor42.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
17 Oct 2022 12:11 #875646 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Ignition Coils for Martek 440
Not sure if this will help you are not but I do have some documents from Martek, which as I understand it was first intended for the Honda 750 but was sold to be used on the KZ650. I did a quick read and did not note any difference in coil from points to the Martek system. I do not know if that is true or not. But here you go.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: ktaylor42

More
17 Oct 2022 12:33 #875648 by ktaylor42
Replied by ktaylor42 on topic Ignition Coils for Martek 440
Thanks gd4now. I've seen that in another post you had and was still unsure if there was an difference in coil. I was probably just going to buy the stock replacement from Amazon for $40 unless somebody thinks another one would be better. I've seen some more expensive parts at ricksmotorsportelectrics and was unsure if they are better quality or even if its a legitimate website. 

1979 KZ650 B3

More
17 Oct 2022 13:13 #875650 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Ignition Coils for Martek 440

Thanks gd4now. I've seen that in another post you had and was still unsure if there was an difference in coil. I was probably just going to buy the stock replacement from Amazon for $40 unless somebody thinks another one would be better. I've seen some more expensive parts at ricksmotorsportelectrics and was unsure if they are better quality or even if its a legitimate website. 
Ricks is a legit company, when it comes to coils the main thing to check is that the primary resistance is to the original spec as per the manual. Past that it comes down to budget, you can spend $200 on "in vogue" units like Dyna or you can go for something less exotic for a fraction of the price (make sure they are mounted correctly and you don't leave the ignition on without the engine running and you should be fine)