• Page:

TOPIC:

Low or no voltage from stator 10 Sep 2022 01:09 #873632

• littlebigcj
  • littlebigcj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi
Struggling to charge my battery at the moment. Bike dies after 20 mins of riding. I’m using a ricks reg rec on my 74 KZ400 with a lithium battery. The exciter coil is getting 12v and ground through the two wires. 
The three stator wires are getting sometimes mvs or 12v each. But always the same. They all get 0.9-1ohm resistance between A-B,B-C,A-C. Although these are higher than spec, the fact that they are all identical and no ground makes me think it’s working as intended. 
My theory is that the exciter field coils cable has become damaged behind the clutch cable cover. What should the resistance be on the exciter field cables? Any other ideas?
Thanks. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Low or no voltage from stator 10 Sep 2022 14:33 #873673

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1718
With the green and black wires disconnected from the RR check resistance between the green wire and the engine casing. The output on the three yellow wires should be significantly more than 12v, I have to say that I don't believe a lithium battery is compatible with this (dynamo) type chargeing system as the output is too irratic and Lithium requires a stable charging voltage
EDIT: I am assuming the engine is running when you have 12v on the three yellow output wires ?
Has this set up been working previously and if so what was the system voltage when running?
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Low or no voltage from stator 10 Sep 2022 15:17 #873675

• littlebigcj
  • User
Hi
Thanks for your reply. Yep the 12v output from the stator was when the engine was running. It has previously ran well before I rebuilt with a new battery and reg rec. So I assume the stator and exciter coil still works as expected. 
Ricks reg Recs are high quality and state they work with kz400s and lithium batteries.  
What resistance from the exciter coils should I expect?
Cheers

Low or no voltage from stator 10 Sep 2022 15:55 #873678

• Wookie58
  • Away
I am not sure on field coil resistance specs, did you check resistance between the green field wire and the engine casing with the black field wire disconnected ?
Am I understanding correctly that the bike has not run correctly with this RR/ Battery combination ?
Did Ricks provide you with conversion wiring from the separate regulator and rectifier, if not how have you wired it ?

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Low or no voltage from stator 10 Sep 2022 17:05 #873681

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 335
Did you measure your stator wires on the AC voltage setting on your meter?
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Low or no voltage from stator 11 Sep 2022 14:13 #873734

• littlebigcj
  • User
Hello
Yes set to AC. Getting 5ohm resistance on the exciter coil which sounds feasible. My next idea is to put a 12v bench top power supply to the exciter coil and then measure the stator AC voltage. 
Very high resistance between both green and black wires to ground. So as expected. 

It’s a complete re wire of the entire bike using ricks reg/rec with a motogadget m unit blue. 
Using this one. 

Attachments:

Low or no voltage from stator 11 Sep 2022 15:11 #873736

• Wookie58
  • Away

Hello
Yes set to AC. Getting 5ohm resistance on the exciter coil which sounds feasible. My next idea is to put a 12v bench top power supply to the exciter coil and then measure the stator AC voltage. 
Very high resistance between both green and black wires to ground. So as expected. 

It’s a complete re wire of the entire bike using ricks reg/rec with a motogadget m unit blue. 
Using this one. 

You say there is a resistance measurement between the green and black to ground. - what is the reading - is this with the green and black disconnected from the RR if so the field coil is faulty as .,there should be no circuit to earth also I would recommend a 30a fuse in the RR output back to the battery. When using a lithium battery with an old charging system there is a risk of a generator fault causing a "thermal runaway" (battery fire) which is almost impossible to extinguish !!!!

Low or no voltage from stator 13 Sep 2022 05:32 #873815

• littlebigcj
  • User
The resistance was very high, like mega ohms between the exciter coil inputs. Just tried it again, I was getting like 25v AC at 4000 rpms and the input to the battery was over 13v. Is this normal?
Yes, the battery is fused with 35A fuse. 

Low or no voltage from stator 13 Sep 2022 06:37 #873819

• Wookie58
  • Away

The resistance was very high, like mega ohms between the exciter coil inputs. Just tried it again, I was getting like 25v AC at 4000 rpms and the input to the battery was over 13v. Is this normal?
Yes, the battery is fused with 35A fuse. 
As long as the RR output to the battery is around 13.5v - 14.5v (and it is higher than the static battery voltage when the engine is off ) then you are all good and it is charging 
Good to hear you are fused (better safe than BBQ'd)

Low or no voltage from stator 13 Sep 2022 07:18 #873820

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 222
My brother just installed a Ricks R/R in his KZP. We measured the output from the stator at around 50vac. The charging voltage with the battery connected at 4000rpm and various rpm was a steady 13.7vdc. I was expecting mid 14 volts.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

Low or no voltage from stator 13 Sep 2022 07:37 #873823

• Wookie58
  • Away

My brother just installed a Ricks R/R in his KZP. We measured the output from the stator at around 50vac. The charging voltage with the battery connected at 4000rpm and various rpm was a steady 13.7vdc. I was expecting mid 14 volts.

The bike in question is a 74 400 with dynamo type (separate field winding) generator so the readings will be lower (I assume the KZP had a combined RR from factory) RR's that are intended for lithium batteries aim for as constant an output as possible, small fluctuations in voltage ideally within a couple of points either way of 14v (13.8 - 14.2v)

Low or no voltage from stator 13 Sep 2022 07:53 #873826

• blipco
  • User
  • 2002 KZ1000P
  • Thank you received: 222

Wookie58 post=873823

The bike in question is a 74 400 with dynamo type (separate field winding) generator so the readings will be lower (I assume the KZP had a combined RR from factory) RR's that are intended for lithium batteries aim for as constant an output as possible, small fluctuations in voltage ideally within a couple of points either way of 14v (13.8 - 14.2v)

My bad, not paying attention.
"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: