Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750H regulator/rectifier 29 Apr 2022 13:44 #866379

• BobZ
  • BobZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
I ordered a reg/rec from Parts-n-more.  On their website they showed a Shindingen part...the one they sent was a Rick's.  That's not the issue though.  The Ricks only has 4 wires in the plug instead of 5 in the one that came off the bike....there is no brown wire...just 3 yellow and a black.  Is this going to work?   It's the one they list for an 82 750H   
Had I known I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of my Led Zeppelin albums

1983 Goldwing Interstate
1982 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750H regulator/rectifier 29 Apr 2022 14:06 #866380

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
I'd say yes.  brown wire is the voltage sensing wire, but the Ricks reg-rec probably has the voltage sensing built into the circuitry. and just to be sure, I'm assuming the ricks unit also has a power wire not routed thru the connector, either: red, white or red/white.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobZ

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

KZ750H regulator/rectifier 29 Apr 2022 14:12 #866381

• BobZ
  • BobZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Yes ....there is a power wire.
Had I known I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of my Led Zeppelin albums

1983 Goldwing Interstate
1982 KZ750 LTD

KZ750H regulator/rectifier 01 May 2022 15:15 #866489

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
A 4-wire is generally a better design than the 5 wire, so you could call it an upgrade. The 5-wire system uses the accessories circuit to set the charge voltage which has a big flaw - too much draw on the accessories results in a voltage drop, and the regulator will increase voltage to make up for it. This means you can have 14.2V at your accessories and 15.2V at your battery, which will kill the battery. On these older bikes this can happen just from turning on the headlights on some bikes.
1981 KZ750 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobZ

• Page: