• Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic ignition 29 Apr 2022 00:28 #866336

• Andyp62
  • Andyp62's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all.
My 1978 Z650 B2 will not start, it had a boyer bransden unit that failed so i replaced it and it worked for a few miles then broke down again, because of this i decided to try a different system so bought a newtronics, i have fitted it exactly as specified, the battery is fully charged (even tried with a starter jump pack) but it will not start, If i check the unit as described in the information sheet, touching the pins together with wire the plugs spark but when the caps are on and the starter pressed there is no spark, could it be the starter motor at fault?, pulling too many amps as i dont want to buy another system when it seems strange 2 units wont work, i have also tried the boyer back on with a replacement they sent and that is the same
thanks 
Andy 
1978 Z650 B2, US import to the UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Electronic ignition 29 Apr 2022 00:38 #866337

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Did you do the wired George mod suggested in your weak spark thread.? It doesn't sound like a electronic ignition fault to me. 
Guessing your in the uk by the post time stamp? Where abouts? 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Electronic ignition 29 Apr 2022 01:29 #866338

• Andyp62
  • Andyp62's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
hi
i am in the uk near Blackpool, i havent been on for a while so not seen the mod suggested for a weak spark, i will have a look 
1978 Z650 B2, US import to the UK

Electronic ignition 29 Apr 2022 03:27 #866346

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1765

Hi all.
My 1978 Z650 B2 will not start, it had a boyer bransden unit that failed so i replaced it and it worked for a few miles then broke down again, because of this i decided to try a different system so bought a newtronics, i have fitted it exactly as specified, the battery is fully charged (even tried with a starter jump pack) but it will not start, If i check the unit as described in the information sheet, touching the pins together with wire the plugs spark but when the caps are on and the starter pressed there is no spark, could it be the starter motor at fault?, pulling too many amps as i dont want to buy another system when it seems strange 2 units wont work, i have also tried the boyer back on with a replacement they sent and that is the same
thanks 
Andy 
Couple things here, coils work on voltage so the below volt drop test will tell you if something else (like the starter) is effecting it
  1. did you do the volt drop test I have previously advised (voltmeter red lead to battery positive and black lead to coil positive) while cranking - this should read no more than 0.5v (the by pass relay will address this if it is higher)
  2. What is the battery voltage when cranking - should be approx 10v or higher ?
  3. A quick test to see if the relay will solve your problem (it is worth doing the mod anyway) connect a wire (preferably with a 10amp fuse in) it from the battery positive to the coil feed (red/yellow) at the coils- does it start now ? if no the relay will not cure the problem
  4. Is it possible to pull the HT lead out of the plug cap and connect directly to the plug or hold the lead close to the cyl head (not with your hand) - if it sparks now the plug caps may be wrong (normally you would have resistive leads or caps - not both)
The following user(s) said Thank You: meubels

Last edit: by Wookie58.
  • Page: