• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ 750 Igniter Resistance Checks 25 Apr 2022 17:42 #866156

• rwetzler
  • rwetzler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello,
I've recently run some resistance checks on various electrical components on my 82' LTD KZ750 and  a little confused by the chart specification data for the igniter. It's to difficult to describe all the variables and test lead hook-ups in writing so I've attached  a copy of the procedure from the manual and also an excel spreadsheet showing my readings compared to the specifications given in the manual. I worded my chart data and arranged it a little different in way that makes more sense to me in how interrupted the manual chart. My readings match the manual data for the most part other than the x100 ohm readings.  If someone has experience testing these and can offer some feedback on my method and readings I would appreciate it.
Just trying to increase my knowledge of these old bikes.
Note: From my experience you cannot test one of these units using a digital ohm meter. I have an old analog meter that I used to obtain all my readings, manual also states to use an analog type meter. The excel file has 2 tabs the other tab has the specs and the readings on my bike for the coils and the pick-up coils.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ 750 Igniter Resistance Checks 26 Apr 2022 01:43 #866167

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
It is one of those subjective tests that may suggest is not terribly wrong, but does not tell you it is in top shape either.    The readings varies depending on the instrument quality,, against the one used in factory, which may be a calibrated one.

It is like the ignition coils resistance tests.   Reading well does not necessarily means they are good.   Because resistance reads in range when they are cool, does not mean it would work well when hot.   The behavior of electronics changes with temp.

.....I have two igniters, they both work, and readings are not exaclty same.   As far as I am concerned, best test is seat of the pants.   Bike feels well...I leave it alone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: