Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 LTD Trucklite housing 14 Apr 2022 10:26 #865425

• Baehund
  • Baehund's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi all, first time posting. Last year I resurrected a pretty much stock ‘82 KZ440 LTD.

about a week ago the halogen lamp went out, so I figured now is as good time as any to modernize to LED. So I searched all the forums on here and it looked like Trucklite 27270c is a pretty simple plug and play swap for my bike. And as far as wiring, it was.

however the retaining ring/ housing seems just a taaaad too small for the light. It will connect and go in flush, but the retaining ring(I think is what it is) won’t slide in to hold the light in place. In the mean time I’ve sealed it with tape just so it’s drivable for a few days but I need help. I’m not sure if other KZ440LTD owners have experienced this issue and have found a fix or if im missing something. 

will try to attach some pics below. Thanks for helping!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

KZ440 LTD Trucklite housing 14 Apr 2022 11:59 #865428

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
The stock headlight bucket is too small.
You need a 7" housing. You'll have to spread the mounting ears apart slightly to get it to fit. The light won't be flush with the outer ring as well. It sits about a 1/4" proud of the ring.
I bought something like this one.
emgo 7" kawasaki style hoising

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baehund

Last edit: by F64.

KZ440 LTD Trucklite housing 14 Apr 2022 12:03 #865431

• Baehund
  • User
By mounting ears, do you mean the bits that attach to the bracket on the forks? If this is the housing that you’ve confirmed will fit, I will go ahead an order it. From here I’d imagine just need to put all the new wires fed into the new housing and it should be groovy? 

much appreciated man. 

KZ440 LTD Trucklite housing 14 Apr 2022 21:44 #865460

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 351
I circled the mounting ear in light blue.
Since the diameter of the new housing is slightly larger you will bend the ear outward a touch.
All the wiring fits in the new housing.
I've had the Trucklite for 6 years with no issues.
The only thing that is not great is that it doesn't work as well as a daytime running light compared to the sealed beam. The light is very bright if you are in it's beam but if you are off to the side just outside of the beam it looks like the light isn't on.
It really needs a frosted cover or shower cap for daytime riding, but at night the light is very impressive.
Shop around for the housing. I picked this one up from amazon for less than $40.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baehund

Last edit: by F64.

KZ440 LTD Trucklite housing 17 Apr 2022 17:38 #865632

• Baehund
  • User
Small update for anyone who cares, I ordered the housing from speed addicts, shipped here (free I might add) in two days. Impressive. All went according to plan, ears did bow out a tad, but nothing detrimental, and now I can send the light of ten stars out of my headlight. Very wicked at night. Cheers everyone for the help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, F64

• Page: