• Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition key made! 09 Apr 2022 16:13 #865183

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

I'm not sure if this belongs here as it's a ignition key issue which is not completely electrical, and I'm posting a review, so if this does not belong here, please move it to correct section.

I needed a ignition key and since I got a key code from the ignition cylinder, I had one of the member here made me a key. It arrived today and test fitted, and it's flawless. No click, no drag of any kind. So if you're stuck with no key situation, get your key code from your ignition cylinder and contact member here, rstnick

I didn't trust the locksmith here locally. I been to few and quality of their work is less than decent. We really don't have much choice here. It's not like I can walk or drive to next city or state, you know. And everybody knows this, so we're really stuck with what we have. I'm glad I contacted him.

here's some pictures. I know this doesn't move and some may wonder the movement of the key/cylinder, but as I mentioned before, it's very smooth.

Lastly, once again, thanks Rob!

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, taildragger1197, Mikaw, howardhb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition key made! 11 Apr 2022 07:16 #865227

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I had a key cut at the hardware store using the original key.  New key was the same ilco key blank as yours. KA14 X103.
The ilco catalog shows several other blanks in the Kawasaki section that probably can be used. in case a different style is preferred.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ignition key made! 11 Apr 2022 21:45 #865264

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
In my case, I didn't have a key to begin with. So I needed to take the cylinder to local locksmith but living on island in middle of Pacific Ocean, I probably had to sell one of my Kidney to get the key.Besides, their quality of work are very questionable. But instead, I went to Rob and he did a great job.

Last time I had a key made from lock cylinder, costed me right around $120, and that's more than 10 years ago. I think it was for my car but don't remember. One of those memories you want to forget because you lost your key and had to pay for it.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Ignition key made! 12 Apr 2022 18:16 #865317

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Glad I could help Toshi.

It helps that the information is available in books and on computer programs.

Then the new machines are also compurized, so it's just a matter of setting up the key properly and hitting a few buttons.
Back in the Day we used to make them using a machine very similar to a Lathe, with dials for spacing and depth.
Human error could be a factor though.

This key machine is over 100 years old:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Scirocco

• Page: